commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
45 Commando Troops  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Iris Little
Forum Member

James King, " A" Troop 45 Royal Marine Commando 1943
[Thumb - James King 45 Royal Marine Commando 1943.jpg]
 Filename James King 45 Royal Marine Commando 1943.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1489 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/10/2012 11:50:17

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Iris

Thanks for posting the photos. I have included 3 in a small album for your father within the 45RM Cdo gallery and it can be viewed here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/james+King/

I have included 2 of the others in the main 45RM Cdo gallery here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/

Regards

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Iris Little
Forum Member

James King," A " Troop 45 Royal Marine Commando, sitting far right on the bonnet of the jeep
[Thumb - 45 Commando.jpg]
 Filename 45 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 45 Royal Marine Commando
 Filesize 379 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  2854 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/10/2012 11:51:02

Iris Little
Forum Member

James King "A" Troop 45 RM Commando, with Normandy Veterans, Jim is back row, 7th from the right, proudly wearing his Green Beret.

I'm told by my Brother,that the Gent seated in the front row, in front of the flag, wearing the grey suit was someone famous but sadly he can't remember his name
[Thumb - Normandy Veterans.jpg]
 Filename Normandy Veterans.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Normandy Veterans
 Filesize 571 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  870 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/10/2012 11:51:28

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Iris

Is the person sitting in front of the flag bearer wearing the Victoria Cross?

anyone?

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John M wrote:

Is the person sitting in front of the flag bearer wearing the Victoria Cross?

Yes that is a VC.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Stanley Hollis VC

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Iris Little
Forum Member

Thankyou All , for your help in trying to find out which troop my Late Father was in.

I'm thrilled to be able to tell you that after going through lots of old stuff in the loft, my Brother found some of Dads papers which tell us he was in "A" troop.
This find should, I hope, allow me to find out exactly where he was during the war in Germany.

Once again, from the bottom of my heart, Thankyou
Iris

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have updated the gallery album with his troop. It was whilst assisting members of 'A' troop who had suffered casualties that Lance Corporal Henry Eric Harden, Royal Army Medical Corps attached to 45RM Commando, was killed and posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his gallantry. A good book on the Royal Marines Commandos in general but with many accounts from Veterans including some from 'A' troop 45RM Cdo is "By Sea and Land - The Story of the Royal Marines Commandos" by Robin Neillands. It's not specific to 45RM Cdo. You might consider obtaining it along with the book that John M. refers to in his reply on p1.

Here is the Gallery entry for L/Cpl Harden VC

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/Henry+Eric+Harden+VC+45+RM+Cdo.jpg.html

Additionally we have a photo of some of 'A' troop in the gallery here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/Z427-A+Troop+45+RM+Commando+at+Southampton+before+setting+off+for+France-seated+right+LCpl+Henry+Harden+who+would+win+the+VC.jpg.html

Finally I have added the photos above including the one of the Normandy veterans with WO 11 Stanley E. Hollis VC. That particular photo can now be viewed here with a link to his citation:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/james+King/Normandy+Veterans.jpg.html

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/10/2012 19:17:17

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Iris Little
Forum Member

James King "A " Troop 45 R M Commando
James is second from the left

[Thumb - Dad in Jeep.jpg]
 Filename Dad in Jeep.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  788 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2012 14:48:40

Iris Little
Forum Member

There are names written on the back of the above photo in my Fathers hand writing, they are Cassidy, Dowling, Nobby Clark, Blackie and Doc.

Do these names mean anything to anyone?
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Iris, you have some wonderful pictures of your dad. I hope you have more ! Thanks again for sharing, especially with the nicknames.

The "jeep" is a German Volkswagen Kübelwagen essentially a Beetle.

The Volkswagen Kübelwagen (literally translated as "tub truck", for its resemblance to a metal bathtub on wheels [1]) was a light military vehicle designed by Ferdinand Porsche and built by Volkswagen during World War II for use by the German military (both Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS). Based heavily on the Volkswagen Beetle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_K%C3%BCbelwagen

Given that your dad and comrades look relaxed, short sleeves etc. perhaps this was taken in summer 1945, after the war has ended, and possibly in Germany from what you mentioned earlier.
Of course that is speculation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2012 17:23:16

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Iris Little
Forum Member

Thankyou Mark.

I do have a few more photographs but I hope I'm not boring everyone with them.

When Dad came home from the war he formed a "Concert Party" which he aptly named " The Commando's Dance Band".
He played in most of the working mens clubs in the area in which we lived and they were a very popular band,
Dad also worked as a welder during the day.
I suppose it was his Commando training that gave him the stamina to hold down two jobs and work long hours to support his ever extending family.
He even delivered me when I was born as the midwife didn't turn up until some hours later, I am very proud of him and lucky to be able to say that Jimmy King 45 RM Commando was my Dad

I loved my Dad dearly, there's not a day goes by without thinking about him and wishing he was still here with us.
Iris Little
Forum Member

James King 1943.

I'm not sure wether he was in the Marines or the Commando's when this photo was taken, maybe someone will know by the uniform he's wearing.

[Thumb - Dad Royal Marine 1943 (2).jpg]
 Filename Dad Royal Marine 1943 (2).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  829 time(s)

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Iris, you are certainly not boring anybody with the photos you so kindly shared with us all. And remember that in hours, days, months or even years to come, people might come across these pictures of your dad and learn about him, or they may even spot a relative in one of his pictures.

I suppose it was his Commando training that gave him the stamina to hold down two jobs and work long hours to support his ever extending family.

From knowing my granddad George, I would say the Commandos were selected based on their sheer determination to keep going with fitness second. In my granddad's final years he struggled with his knees, but would that stop him walking, certainly not. If it took him an hour to shuffle down to the shops - 7 minute walk for an able person -, he would do it. Of course he would stop and chat on the way too ;-) So I'm sure it was your dad's great determination that kept him going and provided for his family.

The photo shows Jimmy wearing a Royal Marines dark blue parade dress uniform, or blues

It is possible Jimmy could have been a Commando at the time of this picture, as there was no Commando dress uniform, and Jimmy was a Royal Marine Commando who would be entitled to wear the blues
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will expand on this.

I loved my Dad dearly, there's not a day goes by without thinking about him and wishing he was still here with us.

I know exactly how you feel Iris, my granddad passed away 3 months ago and we all miss him very much. We just try to remember the many good times we had and we remember what he might have said as a Commando

its all done you can't change a thing, just get bloody on with it !

Of course that makes us smile, we have to look to the future, but its still hard :(

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 03/11/2012 20:41:46

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger