commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
3 Commando Dieppe KIA  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Peter V
Forum Member

Thanks Pete, strangly when I tried to find his name on the CWGC webpage for some reason his name did not turn up... I must have been making a mistake...
Is there any information if he was killed when still at sea or while landing or after that

Will's information indicates that it was while or after landing.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/12/2012 22:28:18

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Peter, I have no other information on how Pte Cyril Barrett died

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The following information relates to L/Cpl William Craggs and is provided by his son Norman Ley Craggs:

He was enlisted on 15th August 1940 at Infantry Training Centre. Rifle Depot, Motor Battalion, in Winchester. He was then sent to GHQ Liason Regiment at Richmond Park in early 1941 under Major David Niven. He became a very good wireless & communications operator being excellent at morse code. Major David Niven then appointed him his personal driver & wireless operator & they became great friends apparently. My father drove David Niven's Scout Car called 'The Flying Scotsman' A picture on your site shows an inspection by the Duke of Kent with David Niven in Richmond Park, in 1942. My Father is standing in front of the first Scout Car no F14816. This picture appears in David Niven's book 'The Moon's A Balloon'. I have this picture & also another which I have attached. Niven was asked by Churchill, Montgomery & Moutbatten to provide a group of handpicked men to support the planned Dieppe Raid. My Father was chosen & he was assigned to no 3 Commando at Seaford. David Niven in his autbiography recounts his dilema of choosing his best wireless operator for the mission who was married with a family or a lesser skilled man who was single. Knowing that the chance of returning was slim. There was no choice, he selected the best man for the job which was my Father. He did'nt return. David Niven lived with this decision for the rest of his life. I have often wondered about the detail of the raid. ie who were his comrades??, Were there any survivors?? Which group or landing craft was he in??? Are there any specific reports on him?? etc,etc. Is there any form of reunion or rememberance held in Dieppe on the 19th August???
If you can help with any info on my Father this would be really special to me."

[Thumb - William Craggs.jpg]
 Filename William Craggs.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo courtesy of his son Norman Ley Craggs
 Filesize 103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  417 time(s)

[Thumb - The grave of LCpl Craggs.jpg]
 Filename The grave of LCpl Craggs.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 219 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  402 time(s)

[Thumb - William Craggs and The Flying Scotsman.jpg]
 Filename William Craggs and The Flying Scotsman.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 420 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  438 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger