commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Tom Hall No1 Cdo and and John Strain No.1 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Hi Andy,

I couldn't see the other two pictures you mentioned in your last message. If you could post these or send them to me directly I will take them to my Grandad and show him. He spent tonight telling me of their journey from Scotland to India and that one of the boats that No's 1 & 5 Commando and No's 42 & 44 Royal Marines was on was hit by Germans and they were swapped onto another boat so they got there earlier than the other boat that had to stop for repairs for a few weeks.

Regards,

Dan

I am very keen to get names for all of the faces in the Troop 3 photgraph I own. Is there any way you know of getting this information?
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Hi Andy,

I couldn't see the other two pictures you mentioned in your last message. If you could post these or send them to me directly I will take them to my Grandad and show him. He spent tonight telling me of their journey from Scotland to India and that one of the boats that No's 1 & 5 Commando and No's 42 & 44 Royal Marines was on was hit by Germans and they were swapped onto another boat so they got there earlier than the other boat that had to stop for repairs for a few weeks.

Regards,

Dan

I am very keen to get names for all of the faces in the Troop 3 photgraph I own. Is there any way you know of getting this information?
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan
Have posted you out the package of docs and photos today via 1st class post so you should get them by Friday at the latest. I have included the following:

Third Jungle Book July 1944

Third Jungle Book Sep 1945 {this is the book that contains the copy of your group photo of 3 Troop page 47)

No1 Winchester Reunion Programme 1995.

No1 News Letter.

No1 Concert party programme India, signed by many of the performers.

No1 French raid photo {photographic paper}

Anotated French raid photo.

Photo of my father {seated} and a friend {?} probably in India.

Portrait of my father.

Photo of three soldiers in uniform {possibly Commandos}.

Photo of Andrew O'Marah of No1 Commando.

I have actually spoken to Teresa Fitzgerald who has definately identified the tall man on the exterme right hand side of both group photos as that of her father Edward Fitzgerald. In terms of identifying the other people in the photo I think you have done all that you can by uploading these on to the CVA site. I have been trying to obtain the names of the other men in the French raid Photo that I have uploaded on to the forum, one of the soldiers in this photo who is standing in the landing craft on the right, has clearly got two pips on his shoulder strap which I have been told denotes his rank as being a full Leutenant. From what I have read of No1's French raiding exploits and what my father told me, I believe that this photo is of the raid that was lead by Lt Scaramanga against St Vaast Bay, I don't know if your GF remembers what Lt {later Cpt} Scaramanga looked like, but if he could confirm that this is Lt Scaramanga then I would definately be able to establish which raid this photo is of.
Have you checked out "The Combined Operations Memorial" site, this has a very detailed history of No1 Commando, maybe your GF could add some information to this. Another aspect of this site is the "They also Served" section this is a digital wall of Honour where you can include names of familly / friends living or deceased who served under the Combined Operations Command. I have included my fathers name, as has kevin O'Marah for his father Andrew O'Marah and Jackie Schulze from the states has included her Uncle's name William Mc Ginnis, who was an American Volunteer with No1, at the moment they are the only members of No1 who's names have been included. It is a very easy process to upload a name on to this wall and you don't have to be a member to do so (as it happens I am).
I am planning a visit to the National Archive at kew in the very near future to view the war diaries of No1 in order to increase my knowledge of this unit and also on the off chance that there might be some mention of my fathers name. My objective is to make copies of as many of these documents as possible, and in time, hopefully of the whole collection with the intention to make these available to every one by uploading them on to the forum.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/09/2008 00:44:29

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

Hi,

My uncle in Cyprus has just sent these pictures over of some of my Grandad's belongings that he returned from Burma with.

John Strain Troop3 No1 Commando

Regards,

Dan
[Thumb - HPIM1113.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1113.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 739 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  681 time(s)

[Thumb - HPIM1117.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1117.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 817 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  647 time(s)

[Thumb - HPIM1115.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1115.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 656 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  664 time(s)

NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

and a few more....
[Thumb - HPIM1118.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1118.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 925 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  646 time(s)

[Thumb - HPIM1122.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1122.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 613 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  666 time(s)

[Thumb - HPIM1121.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1121.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 605 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  636 time(s)

NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

and more...
[Thumb - HPIM1131.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1131.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 600 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  625 time(s)

[Thumb - medals 1.jpg]
 Filename medals 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 839 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  634 time(s)

[Thumb - HPIM1132.JPG]
 Filename HPIM1132.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 605 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  594 time(s)

NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

and finally.....
[Thumb - medals 2.jpg]
 Filename medals 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 940 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  644 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan

Excellent set of pics of your GF's Commando artefacts, I wonder if his knife is one of the B2 type, as is my father's. This can be idetified by looking on the underside of the guard, if it is then there will be a "crows foot" arrow next to the mark B2 stamped underneath it.
I am actually just finishing off mounting and framing my fathers Commando things, there will be five large frames in all and once it is complete I will photograph the whole group and upload it on to the Forum for those that may be interested.
Sadly I have not got my fathers original insignia /arm patches, however I have just discoverd a really superb supplier / manufacturer of British WWII cloth insignia and patches who has the largest selection of Commando insignia that I have seen. He even makes and supplies an excellent No1 salamander flames patch and the 1st and 2nd pattern No1 shoulder flashes, so I have obtained a collection of these No1 insignia to include in two of my display frames.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Everybody,
Have been off here for a few years unfortunately, apologies for that, hope everybody is bearing up well. I have now found the CVA Facebook page [didn't know it existed!] and have posted a few photo's on there, after working out how to use my scanner. Do'h! Hopefully someone will recognise him and will get in touch, fingers crossed. I will try and attach some of the same photo's on here too, as not everyone are doing the social media thing. Here goes!

Kind Regards,
Darren Little
[Thumb - Gramps Photos 001.jpg]
 Filename Gramps Photos 001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo of my Grandfather, Pte Thomas 'Tom' Hall of 1 Commando
 Filesize 75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  620 time(s)

Grandson of Thomas Hall [No1 Cdo] from Cwmbran
Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here's his Commando Service Certificate
[Thumb - Gramps Photos 024.jpg]
 Filename Gramps Photos 024.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte Thomas 'Tom' Hall Commando Service Certificate
 Filesize 334 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  597 time(s)

Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This is one of his 'dog tags' with his photo and my mother's on there, on the opposite side was my grandmother and aunty.
[Thumb - Gramps Photos 077.jpg]
 Filename Gramps Photos 077.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte Thomas 'Tom' Hall 1 Commando Dog Tags
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  608 time(s)

Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The medals within my grandfathers collection.
[Thumb - Gramps Photos 074.jpg]
 Filename Gramps Photos 074.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte Thomas 'Tom' Hall 1 Commando Medals
 Filesize 358 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  641 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Photos relating to Thomas Hall No.1 Commando can be viewed here : http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Tom+hall/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan a "Chroeso"
I see from your original posting that Henry Brown knew your father, he and my father were Sergeants together at one time in No1 Commando, I remember in the early 70's Henry was on holiday in Barmouth and knowing that my father was originally from there and they eventually met up in Penrhyndeudraeth where we lived, they spent a few hours talking about their time together, so It's possible that my father also knew your grandfather.

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just to say a big thanks to Pete and Nick for all of their help with sorting out the photo's and documents of my grandfather, Pte Thomas Hall of 1 Commando [South Wales Borderers] and posting them up on here and the photo gallery, I've also put some up on the Facebook page as well, if anybody would like to have a look. It's great that people like Pete and Nick [plus others I expect] dedicate their spare time to helping other's out and maintaining the CVA website, otherwise we wouldn't have this tool to find out and remember past Commando's and their daring deed's that assisted in the cause of winning the Second World War. I enjoy going on this website very much, as I think all the people who visit it do and I hope that I get as much out of it as the 'Old Comrades' and their families have. It's a time for remembering loved ones that have passed away, whenever and wherever it was, but also, those who have survived too. I, myself as I expect other people on here do, just don't do 'it' for this weekend of Remembrance, we remember every day and that what this website and the volunteers are all about, keeping their memory alive. All the best and thank you.

Kindest of Regards,
Darren Little.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger