commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Chariot - St Nazaire  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering those who took part in Operation Chariot 73 years ago yesterday.

We shall remember them

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering today Tom McCormack, Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5 (Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando, who 73 years ago died of wounds sustained in Operation Chariot in hospital in Rennes on 11 April 1942.

Tom was on the open decks of HMS Campeltown when she rammed the dock gate and then formed part of Donald Roy's force protecting the bridge the demolition parties had to use to reach the Old Mole after they had completed their tasks.

He received several serious injuries including a critical grenade wound to the head.

He will not be forgotten.

Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering those who took part in Operation Chariot 74 years ago today.

HMS Campeltown rammed the gates of the Normandie Dock at 01:36 hrs Saturday 28 March 1942.

We shall remember them

MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering today on the 73rd anniversary of his death, Tom McCormack.

Many here will know the very moving picture of Tom sitting kilted on the dockside critically injured, but I prefer to remember him in cheerier times in Pete's picture below.

Not forgotten

[Thumb - Tom 1941 (copyright Pete Rogers).jpg]
 Filename Tom 1941 (copyright Pete Rogers).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Tom in 1941 (courtesy of Pete Rogers)
 Filesize 10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  714 time(s)

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I agree Mark, thanks for posting this photo.

Janet
MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering today all those who took part in Operation Chariot at St Nazaire 75 years ago.

We will remember them.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Operation Chariot. Read more here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Chariot

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

View the Roll of Honour for Operation Chariot:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoROHStNazaire

Click on any name for more information.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The last letter written to his father by Lance Sergeant Bill Gibson, No 2 Commando 6 troop, who died on the raid.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/LanceSergeantGibsonLetter

We will remember them.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A short video of part of the service in St Nazaire.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-loire/saint-nazaire-44600/operation-chariot-st-nazaire-stephen-barney-y-etait-video-4889416

The veteran depicted is Stephen Barney who was one of the crew of the destroyer HMS Athelstone which along with HMS Tynedale accompanied the flotilla to the area but remained out at sea during the raid.

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

This is a photo of the German submarine pens at St. Nazaire which I took many years ago.
[Thumb - Picture.jpg]
 Filename Picture.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 720 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  783 time(s)

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering Tom McCormack, who succumbed in Rennes 75 years ago today from the wounds he sustained in Operation Chariot .

He will not be forgotten.

Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/04/2017 23:27:54

MBrockway
Forum Member

76 years ago HMS Campbeltown with her accompanying flotilla of ML's and MGB's was minutes away from crashing the outer gate of the Normandie Dock and beginning the St Nazaire Raid.

We shall not forget all those who took part.

MBrockway
Forum Member

Remembering today Tom McCormack, who a fortnight after the raid finally succumbed to his wounds on this day 76 years ago.

We shall remember them all and their sacrifice.

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger