commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
ROLLS OF HONOUR for Army Commandos who were K.I.A. or D.O.W., World War II  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello John M,

ROH

Captain Graham Hayes MC

Small Scale Raiding Force / 62 Commando

Executed 13/7/1943 in Paris prison by Gestapo

Captain Hayes was a victim of the infamous Hitler Commando Order.

Do we pay tribute to those Commando's who may have endured horrendous treatment in the hands of the Gestapo before their death or do we just acknowledge K.I.A and not Executed.

I don't want to offend anyone by this observation and comment about the way soldiers lives are lost during the course of warfare.

If the moderator wishes to remove this post, I will understand and respect that decision.

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Regarding the manner of death described by Colin, I certainly understand his feelings. The Rolls of Honour I prepared list the names of our comrades as FALLEN. It was thought that this covered all the circumstances of death, be they K.I.A., D.O.W., or illegal execution at the hands of the enemy. I felt the same emotions as Colin when I listed the names of seven of my No. 2 Commando friends who were in the hands of the S.D. prior to their execution in Berlin, 1942. The CWGC simply notes the date of death in its listings of Commando casualties. I still prefer the FALLEN designation to commemorate the passing of all the service men who were equal in sacrifice for their country. I intend to address the fallen of S.S.R.F., 62 Cdo., and S.O.E. in a later-to-be-published listing where they are applicable to Army Commando casualties.
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

NIC wrote:
Colin Russell wrote:Hi John M,

ROH

Can you include Captain P.A. Ayton of 12 Commando?

D.O.W 29/12/1943 Capt. Ayton was with 10IA Commando when mortally wounded.

Regards,

Colin

Colin,
I presume you know that Capt Ayton, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, was awarded the Croix de Guerre?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Croix de Guerre and Palm

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/02/2008 20:50:27

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ahh well that answered my question then :wink:

That's a good display of Capt Ayton's medals, and his MiD, you have Colin, may I ask if you have any connection to him?

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/02/2008 22:12:54

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Nic,

The only connection I can lay claim to is that I live in Jersey, where this ill fated raid for Capt. Ayton took place.

Petit Port, in the Parish of Trinity, Jersey is where 10IA Commando landed and where Capt, Ayton was mortally wounded on 25/26 December 1943 by stepping on a land mine.

Please remember that the Channel Islands were the only part of British Isles to be occupied by the Germans. That's why my Dad joined the Commandos, as a Jerseyman he hoped to be able to come back and help liberate Jersey. Was not to be.

Anyway, the medals aren't mine, they're on display at the Parish Hall of Trinity and there is a memorial of the landing at Petit Port and I have pics of all this and the terrain that the Commandos would have encountered on their landing. Will post them in the gallery soon.

Kind regards,

Colin

[WWW]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello :)

I've posted some pics in the gallery re: Operation Hardtack 28 and Captain Ayton.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/misc/memorials/?g2_page=3

There are more once I can figure out which album they should be placed.

Regards,

Colin

[WWW]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John M.

We will have to start a new Roll for No. 13 Commando.

This unit had very low casualties. Here is the only one we have found to date:

Cpl. R.H. THISTLEWOOD

Best regards
Harry
Forum Member

Hello Bob & Janet,

Brilliant.

Harry j

Commandos never died, they go elsewhere and re-group.
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear John,

I have an additional Fallen for No 2 Commando.

Dvr Evans R - Royal Service Corps

I also have a number of Fallen from No 9 Commando.

Capt DG Balls - Highland Light Infantry
Capt KN Campbell - As above
Sgt JS Dickinson - East Lancs Regt
Cpl IR MacKenzie - QOCH
L/Cpl R Brown - Royal Irish Fus
L/Cpl J Gardner - Manchester Regt
L/Bdr WC Burt - RA
Pte JG Blackie - Gordon Highlanders
Pte CG Brown - RAMC
Pte J Brown - East Yorkshire Regt
Rflmn J Blackhurst - King's Royal Rifle Corps
Rflmn A Chambers - Cameronians

I will continue to research No 9 Commando and will post those fallen as I get them.

Harryj.

PS. If someone else has already done this, Please let me Know.

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Harry:

When I prepared the Roll of Honour for No. 9 Commando in October 2007, it contained the names of all the eleven men you have just posted as fallen of No. 9. I do not know why the list I prepared is not on the site. I have enclosed a copy of the subject Roll for your information.

In the matter of Drvr. Ralph Evans who died as a result of accidental parachute failure 25/07/40, he was a member of a parachute formation styled as No. 2 Commando which became the Parachute Regt. He was not a member of the Army No. 2 Commando unit and he and four others have their place of honour on the Parachute Regt. Roll. The CWGC entry is confusing, but this matter has been resolved in a previous posting.

Perhaps the listing of the Fallen I prepared will assist you in determining if any others are to be added to the 93 Fallen of No. 9 Commando.

I do hope that I will have the pleasure of meeting you, Harry. Let us know if you will be making it to Ft. William this year.

Kindest personal regards,
 Filename NO. 9 FALLEN.docx [Disk] Download
 Description Roll of Honour No. 9 Commando
 Filesize 14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  528 time(s)

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If anyone has trouble downloading the previous Rolls of No. 9, try this one, it should work.
 Filename NO. 9 FALLEN.doc [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  555 time(s)

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob & Janet,

Thank you for your message. I have an interesting one that I have just found on the CWGC site. Does this have anything todo with us?

Capt RT Turner-Hughes - Royal Welsh Fusiliers

No 3 Special Services Bn

Harryj.

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob & Janet,

Further to my enquiry of Capt Turner-Hughes No3 SS Bn. His resting place is in Johannesburg (West Park) Cemetery, English Church Sec, Grave 224. Fell 23.10.1942.

I have tried unsuccessfully to open your Role of Honour File. I have got the Rememberance List which is of great use. Do you think there is any need for me to continue with my investigations?

I will hopefully be at Fort William in November.

Yours,

Harryj

michael j
Forum Member

sir,
i am new to the site, how would i see this list, my man pte john notman kosb.kia 02-07-44 is he on the list.
also could you help me would you know if a list of the men who went through the commando trainging centre at aracncarry, is available.and how do i get a copy looking for notman pte.
i know he was on the dieppe raid and of course he was kia as stated.
kindest regards michael j
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Michael:

You will find the name of Pte. John Norman listed on the No. 4 Commando Roll of Honour by going to:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/no-4-commando-remembrance

As for your inquiry regarding a list of all the men who passed through the Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry or its fore-runner, The Commando Depot, I doubt very much if such a directory exists. It would have to contain many thousands of names and I do not think any such consolidation of information was attempted.

Our best regards to you

Bob & Janet

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger