commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Not a lot of people know that ? Joe Powell 4 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oh that's such a shame.

may He rest in Peace.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Oliver
Forum Member

Phil Eyden wrote:Thanks John, that's very sad to hear. I had literally just posted a letter to him before I read this. RIP, what an amazing career he had.

Hello I am a 15 year old grandson (he adopted my dad when he met my dads mum) to Joe Powell I can assure you that he is still alive, sorry this is a bit late but only just searched for him and saw this. felt the need to make an account and post this. recently he bought all of his grandchildren a ticket for indoor skydiving and said "Tell me how it is because I am thinking about going". I guess he still has it in him

If you need any information on him i can help you with that.

Not sure if you received a reply from him and already know this.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/11/2014 15:36:13

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Oliver

Your Grandfather will be glad to know that we had never actually listed him in our Obituaries ! This is only done when official conformation comes in. And I am pleased to hear he is very much still with us. You may want to tell him about this as I suspect he'll find it rather amusing. I am not sure whether your Grandfather even knows about the existence of our Association. In 2005 the original Commando Association of which your Grandfather was likely to have been a member, made a decision to stand down. Some did not agree with the decision and as a result the CVA was formed. When you next contact your Grandfather tell him not only do we wish him well, but ask him to consider joining our Association. He would be most welcome indeed. The forms etc can be found here: Join the CVA

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
matteoincerti
Forum Member

Dear Friends, i can confirm that Joe Powell is alive and i wrote a book (in italian) about him and the 2 SAS Jock Easton "Il paradiso dei follli".

Joe and Jock just after the war where in the stunts industry and had a company running that. They are two war hero and "stunt" legends.

Last august i was visiting Sword Beach n.4 Commando Museum in Ouitstream and i found a picture of him in the museum. I called him and the men running the museum a former n.4 Commando...spoke with him...and they remember each other!...after 70 years!

To contact me:
[email protected]

Ciao
Matteo
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a favour to ask. :)

Due to something I was told this morning, I'm even more interested in what Joe has to say about his time in No.4. I have it ordered at the library but was wondering - in case they can't get it - could somebody with a copy please tell me what it says about the boat raids?

I want to know everything about his time in No.4 but the small scale boat raids are of supreme importance.

Thank you in anticipation. )

PS I had the chance of buying this when it was £60 - he/she who hesitates and all that.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anyone reading this thread may be a little confused as to whether Joe Powell is still with us or not.

Because of this, I'm adding a link to another thread in which his son, Jools, sadly announced that Joe passed away in June 2016.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/5162.page

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes, I was caught out regarding this - I was actually one of the first to respond to that post but my brain refused to remind me of that.

Yet another pal of dad's that I'm not able to talk to.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The library rang me this morning - the book had arrived! Went down to get it and couldn't wait to get to the café before looking at the photos.

I've always wanted to find a photo of dad wearing a steel helmet and there's a chance I may have found one. He's not in the one where they're standing beside the German flag but I recognise close friends of his. The photo 'No.4 Special Service Assault Team' is extremely interesting ... the man sitting at the top on the right, wearing the helmet -
could that be my dad? Does anyone know who has the original as names may be on the back?

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger