commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Edward Albert Pitt No 40 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jackie Read wrote:

We believe Ted volunteered for the Commandos after receiving a 'Dear John' letter and wonder whether it might be possible that Mrs Edwards was his girlfriend/fiancée's mother. Just a thought...

That had crossed my mind too.
Or is it possible he had actually married Mr & Mrs Edwards' daughter and then she left him?
Such things were not talked about in those days and maybe the Mr & Mrs Edwards, who thought he was a good son-in-law, disapproved of the way he was treated by his wife - their daughter...
He was obviously very close to the Edwards family and talked about a 'family photograph' which, it seemed apparent, was not of his immediate family...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jackie Read
Forum Member

I guess that's possible, Nick. It seems to me that we need to find Mary!
GUY
Forum Member

I am unable to find a birth registered for Mary Edwards (mother Piggott). The Edwards household has one record closed in the 1939 Register . This may be Mary, as her birth would have been less than 100 years ago?
Obtaining a copy of Vera Edwards death certificate may give some details relating to Mary?

Edward's references to Mary in his letters seem to imply that she is of school age.

"It's best Mary continues school as later she may be glad she did."

"Mary is quite tall now and very much a charming "Miss"."

There are also several references to a Jeanne. He thanks Mrs Edwards for sending Jeanne some books.
Edward writes;

"I wonder if Jeanne will send me a copy of the family photograph? No doubt they will have changed a lot since I received the last photo."

On Ancestry, B K Havell has several photographs of Edward, all are private and can't be viewed.
I wonder if 'Rylston' was Edward's pre-war "digs" or his wartime billet?
He is obviously very attached to the Edwards and Rylston;

" Although as of old I shall know no real peace until I am at Rylston again. Then I will relax and peace and happiness will be mine."
[Thumb - Edwards.png]
 Filename Edwards.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 218 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  551 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/02/2017 14:09:57

Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

In the Western Daily Press of 27 December 1947, the engagement is announced between Peter, elder son of Mr & Mrs C.G. Chate of Waadi, Egypt and Mary, only daughter of Mr & Mrs A.G. Edwards of Rylston, Beach Road, Portishead. They married in 1949 but Mary's real name seems to have been Mollie L. P. Edwards (just to make things a bit more complicated!)

Mollie L. P. Chate then married Royston C. Williams in 1961.

And that's as far as I've got so far :)

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Jackie Read
Forum Member

That is wonderful, Julie - well done!

My Mother had a long chat with her second cousin this afternoon and it seems that Mr and Mrs Edwards lived a few doors away from Ted's father and new step-mother when they returned from America. We are told that Ted (and his brothers and sisters) weren't made to feel welcome in their new home and that Ted (being the youngest) became very close to Mrs Edwards. Judging from his letters, it seems she adopted him. I am particularly interested in this because, given that my grandfather was only one year older than Ted, I wonder if he too lived with Mrs Edwards. We know very little about my grandfather as he died when my mother was only 8. Thank you so much for your help - I will try and find Mollie.

I have a lovely photo of Ted for your website. Where would you like me to send it?
Jackie Read
Forum Member

Picture attached of Edward Albert Pitt No 40 RM Commando, aged 22 years
[Thumb - Edward Pitt Aged 22.jpg]
 Filename Edward Pitt Aged 22.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Edward Albert Pitt No 40 RM Commando, aged 22 years
 Filesize 536 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  570 time(s)

GUY
Forum Member

Julie W wrote:In the Western Daily Press of 27 December 1947, the engagement is announced between Peter, elder son of Mr & Mrs C.G. Chate of Waadi, Egypt and Mary, only daughter of Mr & Mrs A.G. Edwards of Rylston, Beach Road, Portishead. They married in 1949 but Mary's real name seems to have been Mollie L. P. Edwards (just to make things a bit more complicated!)

Julie, thank you, that was the break through needed.

Sadly, Molly Louise P Williams died in Bristol in 1992.

Mollie / Mary was born in 1928 and would have been 15/16 in 1943/44.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oh no!
Great research by Julie & Guy but Mary/Mollie's premature death may mean that we'll may never know the true story behind Ted and Mrs Edwards.

I do hope that you'll carry on the research Jackie - I'm sure our sleuths will help all they can - please keep us informed of any breakthrough...
I have uploaded Ted's photo to the 40 RM Album (see link below)

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/40+RM+Cdo/

Nick.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/02/2017 21:31:41

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jackie Read
Forum Member

Thank you, Nick. I really appreciate all your help and for making Ted's letters available to us. We will treasure them
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

How nice it is to see a photograph of him, Jackie.

Guy: Your latest piece of information has led me onto something else! Mollie L P Hulland (mother's name also Hulland) was born in Kensington in 1928. This suggests to me that Mollie/Mary was adopted by the Edwards.

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jackie

You may wish to consider contacting the Bath Chronicle who posted an article about the letters that were found in a skip (now 32 years ago) and saved from destruction by a Mr Sid Owen. It was Sid's neighbour Dave Laming, then a Councillor, who researched the detail in the letters and advised the Press. The newspaper website link to their article is here:

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/letters-tell-war-hero-s-days/story-11335615-detail/story.html

It would be nice to let their readers, particularly Sid Owen and Dave Laming, know of the result. I am sure if you provide them with the photo they will include that in any follow up.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/EdwardAlbertPitt40RMCommando

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jackie Read
Forum Member

That's a great idea, Pete. I'll do that.

Best wishes

Jackie
GUY
Forum Member

Julie W wrote:
Mollie L P Hulland (mother's name also Hulland) was born in Kensington in 1928. This suggests to me that Mollie/Mary was adopted by the Edwards.

Julie,
I agree, I couldn't find any Mollie L P connected to Edwards/Piggott born in 1928.

Thank you for posting the photograph of Edward.

Hopefully a relative of the Edwards will see the follow up newspaper story and provide a photograph of Vera and Albert?

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger