commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Castle Commando - BBC Documentary  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:I am sure that the programme will be screened again for viewers in the rest of the UK but a few emails to them requesting that to happen might persuade them to do it.

I pm'd Andy Twaddle to congratulate him on his program and asked if it were planned to air it in the rest of the UK,
AndyBBCScotland wrote:The decision on transmission across the UK is taken by staff more senior than myself, so cant say for sure just yet. If it is I will post details as soon as I have them.

As Pete Rodgers says, it can't do any harm to email the BBC a little!

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Just found time to watch this programme. I can only say that I was quite impressed. These days all documentaries seem to be dumbed down and full of 'reconstructions'.
The only down side was the fact that it ended at Dieppe. I can only hope there will be a follow up episode covering all the later operations.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/02/2017 15:09:25

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Peter,
The program, as the title suggests, was more about Achnacarry and the Commando training rather than anything else.
We all know that there was a lot more to tell about the Commandos and their service in Europe and the Far East but I think to tell the whole story would take a short series.

However, Andy Twaddle (AndyBBCScotland), the program's writer & director, did say in an earlier topic that he had been given more than enough material for the hour program.

Fingers crossed that the BBC decide to produce more of the same quality covering some of the operations...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

Peter, you only have to read Jimmy Dunning's most recent book When Shall Their Glory Fade to remind yourself of the enormous number of engagements in which the Army Commandos alone took part between 1940 and 1945. Jimmy recounts marvellously the stories behind the award of over thirty battle honours won, and makes the point that in addition they fought many actions that did not qualify for battle honours. The engagements spanned Norway, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, North Africa, Sicily, Italy, the Adriatic, Crete, Syria, Yugoslavia, Madagascar and Burma. It would indeed take a mini-series to do these justice.

John

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2012 15:19:08

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Information from Andy Twaddle at the BBC.

For those that might have missed it , the programme Castle Commando has been scheduled for UK-wide transmission on Monday 2nd April, 7pm, on BBC2.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/03/2012 14:20:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I received this email from Rory Bremner last night - Rory also addresses John Millin, son of Piper Bill Millin.

Rory Bremner wrote:Hi Nick and John

Just to let you know I did a new piece of voiceover for Castle Commando last
week, and I believe it will be going out on BBC2 on 2nd April- keep an eye out
for it!

John- thank you very much for your father's wonderful book. We're moving house
at the moment but I hope to have a chance to read it when we've settled in!

Best wishes

Rory Bremner

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I watched this last night on BBC 2. Thankyou free to air satellite TV.

We are very lucky that original film exists of the Commando training, was this due to wartime propoganda?
My father had a photo of himself and several others all dressed in German uniform. Would that be for such a film or would that have been for "routine" training? Always so many questions.

Like so many "son's of" I just want more of this type of documentary. I hope that there will be a follow up.

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wow My eyes were like saucers watching it! Very impressive . Loved every minute of it . The film where Churchill visits ,does anyone know what badges there had on their arms? For a moment I thought they looked like No5 's crossed daggers

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen,

I thought they looked like No5's crossed daggers too but I'll need to watch it again (for the fourth time) on BBC iPlayer to make sure...

I've just recieved another email from 'my old pal' Rory Bremner who thanked me for my reply to his previous email:
Rory Bremner wrote:Dear Nick

Thanks so much and hope you enjoyed the re-edited version!

Best wishes

Rory

I had to admit to Rory I hadn't noticed the changes!

Did anyone else spot them?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well for those, like me, who watched both showings and weren't sure which 'bits' had changed:

Rory Bremner wrote:Dear Nick

That's great- thank you.

There was a little bit of extra footage of Mr Fairbairn's 'dirty fighting' techniques (involving grabbing your opponent by the particulars).

Blink and you'd have missed it. Probably a good thing!

Best wishes

Rory

I watched it and it made my eyes water...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Some of the film clips passed very quickly. But the one of the Churchill visit, I though that one of the Commandos had the arm badge of France, in which case it is possible that there was also a badge of the FNFL France Libre. It can be seen being worn by S/M RABHOUHANS Raymond
http://commandokieffer.canalblog.com/archives/4__jusqu_a_troop_1/index.html

It's also shown in this poor quality close-up
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/11265/normal_Snap1.jpg

But I would have to see the film again to see if it is true

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Lorna Riley
Forum Member

Great documentary! Thanks for the heads up!
lorraine salter
Forum Member

Watched it with interest. Just a little disappointed that they only detailed the one beach landing at Dieppe-not Bernaval where my gt Uncle landed and was killed . My mother (his neice) also noted that Canadian Commandos were mentioned but not the British ones(cant confirm this though will have to watch it again myself!)

Hoping this is the start of more documentaries on Dieppe this year for the 70th anniversary.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Lorraine,
lorraine salter wrote:Watched it with interest. Just a little disappointed that they only detailed the one beach landing at Dieppe-not Bernaval where my gt Uncle landed and was killed . My mother (his neice) also noted that Canadian Commandos were mentioned but not the British ones(cant confirm this though will have to watch it again myself!)

Hoping this is the start of more documentaries on Dieppe this year for the 70th anniversary.

The documentary, as the title suggests, was about the formation and training of the elite force, called the Commandos, and where they were trained.
There were many raids, battles and campaigns (ie Burma), besides Dieppe, that never got a mention, but Dieppe was used as an example of what the Commando training led to.

I'm afraid your mother misunderstood - two British Commando Units (No3 & No4) were used in the Dieppe raid and their role was to attack the big gun batteries either side of the Dieppe beaches. This operation complete, the Canadian main force (who were not Commandos) were to carry out the assault of Dieppe via the beaches - it was here that, tragically, the Canadians lost so many lives.

I think we all hope that Andy Twaddle and the BBC make some more high quality documentaries detailing more about The Commandos in the near future - maybe if there is enough positive feedback they may listen...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
bigben
Forum Member

Does anyone have a copy of Castle Commando they could kindly share ?

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger