commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Albert Charles Skeates  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

here is a link to the Dover War Memorial website in which Phil Eyden has submitted the story of Albert Skeates (plus two other victims of long range shelling).

http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/WWIInotinbook/ServMore.htm

Thanks Phil.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
barry wales
Forum Member

Nick,

Regarding 5 Cdo's stay at DOVER, can I refer you to my comment filed under Lt Col. John (Mad Jack) Churchill where he is listed in the Wartime Army Cdo Individuals section of the Forum Index.

Barry
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Barry,
Thanks for that.
Yes, at that time, Major Jack Churchill - was 2 i/c (Second in Command) of No5 Cdo, under Colonel Wood.
When Col. Wood was recalled to his regiment, Jack Churchill took temporary command of No5 Cdo.

There's more about Major Jack Churchill in an excert from No5 Cdo's War Diaries in a thread by Phil Eyden:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/15/3041.page#10709

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/03/2012 09:48:53

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was fortunate enough yesterday to be given access to the service and burial records of St. Mary in Castro, the church within the grounds of Dover Castle. Within the burial records I found Albert Skeates's record.

It seems that he was initially taken to the Duke of Yorks Military School before being taken to St. James's Cemetery for burial. The Armed Forces Chaplain administering the funeral was George Edward Parsons.
[Thumb - Skeates.jpg]
 Filename Skeates.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  469 time(s)

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Many thanks for this Phil - I will put this on the Gallery along with Albert's Memorial.

Congratulations on the publication of your book about Operation Abercrombie - the Boulogne raid in which No. 4 Commando took part.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yesterday I was up the church at Dover Castle having a last look at the garrison burial, baptism and marriage records before they are shipped off to Canterbury Cathedral for safekeeping forever. At the back of the burial register I found a brown envelope addressed to Major Parsons, Forces Chaplain and postmarked 18th August 1939. Inside were two internment certificates and five body disposal certificates all for unidentified men whose bodies had been recovered from the sea during the Dunkirk evacuation. One internment certificate was for 20 year old 1st Class Aircraftsman Lambert Howarth who was killed on 16th September 1940 when a cross channel shell hit his barrage balloon station on the seafront.

On the back of the envelope I was surprised to find Albert Skeates's details. Major Parsons must have jotted these down before formerly entering them onto the burial register.
[Thumb - Skeates envelope St Mary in Castro.jpg]
 Filename Skeates envelope St Mary in Castro.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  500 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 31/03/2016 22:36:50

[WWW]
Niwdeweb
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am the Grandson of Lance Corporal Albert Charles SKEATES.
May I thank you all for your excellent site and all your efforts in gaining recognition for my grandfather, the images and history.
I realise that some of you have supplied data to my great uncle Ben, who unfortunately passed over a few years ago, I have NOT been made privvy to that information as he passed away in Queensland, Australia.
I am informed, that in addition to the town's war memorial, a small bronze plaque was placed in the Dover area, thanking him and two other soldiers for their lives in defending Dover, or a village around it.
We have no knowledge if where this was placed, by whom, and if it still exists, or if anyone has an image of it.
My Father, Albert Charles son, is 80 later this year, we would love to visit this with my son, lance corporal grandson later this year, so that 3 generations on from him can pay our respects. Time may be against us.
Any one who can help, or has any information, could you please contact me on the email address supplied or by phone/message on 07879497666.
Thank you on behalf of Albert Edward, EDWIN Charles, and William Edward, SKEATES.

Eddie Skeates
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the CVA Website & Forum.
Since you mentioned the plaque I have alerted Phil Eyden who lives in the Dover area and has helped me finfing out information regarding your grandfather in the past. If anyone can find the plaque, Phil can... (no pressure Phil!)
We have also posted on a local history group.

Fingers crossed we will locate the plaque...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

You beat me to it Nick Collins thanks for that.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hands off Bill, Albert Skeates was No.5 Cdo... :D

This is mine - especially as I'm the one who found him and got his record in CWGC amended... :D :wink:

Seriously though, we are looking for a bronze/brass plaque measuring 4" x 12" mounted on a flint & mortar wall, around the Dover area!
As far as we know, as well as Albert Skeates, there are two other names on it...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Niwdeweb
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gentlemen, I never intended to restart the hostilities, I am grateful to all for their efforts

My search for the brass plaque goes on.
Attached is an image of the war memorial within Moorstead Parish Church.
It reads ;-
"REMEMBER BEFORE GOD THOSE FROM
THIS PARISH WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
IN THE WORLD WAR
1939 - 1945
Thomas Jeffrey Earle R.N.V.R,
Aubrey Louis Edwards R.A.
Arthur Andrew Metcalf R.A.
John Victor Phillips R.N.
Albert Charles Skeates R.E."

I note that in many records his name has been misspelt as Skeats, mainly after his enrollment in Troop 6 No.5 Commando, as in the record at Westminster Abbey.
If any one can index the additional names above in order that their relatives can find them I would appreciate it.
[Thumb - Moorstead Church Memoria-smll.jpg]
 Filename Moorstead Church Memoria-smll.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Plaque within Moorstead Parish Church
 Filesize 432 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  388 time(s)

[Thumb - Img_7096b.jpg]
 Filename Img_7096b.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo of Albert Charles Skeates
 Filesize 448 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  338 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 13/02/2019 22:42:31

Eddie Skeates
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger