commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
142 Commando Bgd  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin,
just another tiny snippet on 142 Cmdo Coy...

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse.php?mode=viewc&catid=34

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
markspark
Forum Member

The report above is definitely Wingate's personal report - he being the (77th Indian Infantry) Brigade Commander. I think I still have a copy with Auchinleck's comments in the margins.

I do have a copy of the War Diary of 142 Regiment from its raising in June 15th 1942 to the end of training in Dec 1942. During this time it was redesignated 142 Company RIASC (to disguise the true purpose.)

Raised by Lt-Col T. Featherstonehaugh, K.R.R. (until O.C. Unit appointed (Calvert))
Officers attached:-
Maj. C.A. Cooper-Key, Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers
Capt. F.S. Manford, D.L.I.
Capt. J.B. Jefferies, R. Irish F.

Lieutenants:-
J.V.C. Molesworth, D.C.L.I.
A.V. Earle, P.W.V.
J. Haslam, Lancs Fusiliers
D.S. Sutcliffe, Seaforths
J.G. Lockett, Seaforths
J.C. Long, K.S.L.I.
T.A.G. Sprague, Herefords
W. Nimmo, A. & S.H.

2nd Lts:-
R. Wilson, A. & S.H.
R.W. Godwin, K.O.R.R.

Attached:-
14 B.O.'s (the above?)
10 B.W.O.'s
93 B.O.R.'s

A strange comment to my (civilian) eyes:-
"Draft Serial RZGHA and Bush Warfare School ex-Burma to be attached to 142 Regt.
Advance party of RZGHA (Cooper-Key and Molesworth above and 30 B.O.R.'s) left Jubbulpore for Ramna Camp, Patharia.

Training commenced at Ramna. The unit moved to Saugor on August 4th 42 (to what looks like "Indian Wing, SAS, Saugor", strength of unit now almost doubled.

Plenty more movements and toing and froing of officers and troops, especially from the "RZGHA"

If anyone has a personal interest in this diary, contact me and I'll send it on.

regards,
Mark

Pete Keane
Forum Member

Hi Mark,

Lt. A.V.Earle - P.W.V does it use the abb. PWV or does it mention Prince of Wales Volunteers (or South Lancashire Regt.)

I have e.mailed a friend who is trying to put together a list of all those who served on Longcloth, as 142 Coy. were attached I think he will be very interested.

Great stuff.

Pete.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/04/2009 17:52:27

markspark
Forum Member

Hi Pete,
I'm sorry I can't answer that question now - the diary is on its way to Kevin. I am pretty sure it was "P.W.V." The part I posted earlier is on the front page, and there were a large number of changes in personnel before the end of the diary.

I am pretty sure your friend can put my father, 2nd Lt Cecil Arthur Steevens, down as one of the Longcloth brigade. He was born in Burma, enlisted in the Burma Army Service Corps and was promoted from WO1 to Lt when the army arrived in India, April or May 42. I know he was in the Chindits and have been told he was in the Burma Rifles (which he was in the 2nd Expedition), but I couldn't find him in their War Diary for Longcloth (which is why I went looking at 142 RIASC unit.)

Your friend probably already has the list of names for the Burma Rifles, but if not, drop me a line and I'll copy it.

I did take a further look at the 142 diary before I posted it, and it is clear that Saugor had some kind of SAS connection - an RSM (SAS) figures in the first few pages.

cheers,
Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/04/2009 18:45:00

Pete Keane
Forum Member

Mark,

No problem - I will ask Kevin to look it up when he gets it.

Kevin is already in contact with Steve Fogden, I will let Steve know thats where its heading, and also ask about the Burma Rifles - you have a list of all Burma rifles personnel, or just casualties?

If you dad was involved in Op. Thursday, then the chances are he would not have been part of Op. Longcloth - this is based on the simple premise that very few servicemen were in any fit state after Longcloth !

Have you applied for your dads service history? This would show which units he was with.

Regards

Pete
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a thesis, written by an American for Texas University, on the role of the Chindits in Burma.

Thanks to Pete (Rogers) who forwarded me this lengthy but fascinating document. There are a few mentions of 142 Cdo Coy.

pdf version:

http://etd.lib.ttu.edu/theses/available/etd-05122009-31295015505661/unrestricted/31295015505661.pdf

html version:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:cdVp0jt9aYsJ:etd.lib.ttu.edu/theses/available/etd-05122009-31295015505661/unrestricted/31295015505661.pdf+formation+of+142+Commando+Regiment+Burma&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mark, if you want a copy of the diary, let me have your address and I'll send you a copy.

Nick, I've downloaded the thesis will have a look later on, thanks.
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Kevin,

All recived thank you.

Interesting stuff.

Pete.
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Hi Kevin,

Lt. Earle from the war diary - he is held in Rangoon Jail with other Longcloth soldiers in 1943, and is then taken away by the Kampei. (Hi is a captain by then).

It looks like he was at 142 Commando Coy prior to calverts arrival, I'm wondering if he was one of the original staff drawn from Commando units from North Africa.

You have a photo from Maymyo - can you post it ?

I am still in contact with an ex S.lancs soldier/ commando, am going to see if he can remember the name or face.

Cheers

Pete
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This photo is the only one I have. The Major was Bob English from Axminster (he was the CO at the time) the others are nameless to me. It was taken at the Bush Warfare Training School during the 204 Mission to China but was a clandestine training camp. His intentions I believe was to wright a book about this period of his service, but unfortunately I lost contact with him in the late 80s and never found out if he eventually put pen to paper?
Hope this helps you to identify the other officers.
Kevin

'Primus Inter Pares'
[Thumb - ajo4.jpg]
 Filename ajo4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Bush Warfare Training School
 Filesize 841 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  575 time(s)

Pete Keane
Forum Member

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your swift reply.

The chap on the left has 3 pips, the one at the back 2, and the chap on the right pips not visible.

A Lieutenant would have 2 pips?

The Major lived quite near me (Axminster). If you have a last known address I can make some enquiries, alterneately, do you recall what his parent Regt was?

Regards

Pete
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This was the last letter recieved.

Hope this helps
Kevin
[Thumb - Letter 1 002.jpg]
 Filename Letter 1 002.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Address
 Filesize 198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  516 time(s)

Pete Keane
Forum Member

I will see if I can find him - lot of years since then, but worth the effort.

He is definite about Middle East commandos, also 9 Ind Coy and Force 136.

I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Pete.

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I think he was a bit mixed up about No 9 Independent Company and Special Service Battalion as these were the units that I mentioned to him that my father was with prior to his posting to no1 Cammando inNovember 1941

Pete Keane
Forum Member

Yes, I did think that the independent coys were earlier.

Spoke to a friend in the RBL at Axminster, but no luck - that would have been too easy!

Regards

Pete

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger