commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sidney Edwards - 45 Royal Marine Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin,
Kevin wrote:Danny, Nick wrongly I thought that they wore unit cap badge as my father in group photo of my father.

The RM were slightly different to the Army Commandos in that, in the Army, individuals volunteered for the Commandos (and generally each retained his regimental hat badge).
Whereas nine whole the Infantry Battalions of the Royal Marine Division were re-organised and assigned to be trained as Commandos. As such, they would generally all be wearing the same hat badge...

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have a similar type of photo in our RM Commando gallery to the one here, ie. same set up and background of trees. In this one the contributor informed us that it was a training photo prior to his father joining 46 RM Commando.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/46+RM+Cdo_001.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Dale once you can establish which RM Commando unit he went into I will transfer your photo into that particular units gallery

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 30/05/2011 23:05:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
dale wright
Forum Member

My Grandfathers service number was CH/X 104698. He wrote many letters both from England and in France. In England, many of them were addressed, 'HQ 1st Special Service' in Petworth Sussex. From my research, I am pretty sure that the only RM Commando unit attached to this was 45.

Also you have photograph on the 45 commando page of commandos looking at a dagger of some sort. The commando to the far right, as we look at it, looks like my grandfather. My uncle( his son) also told me that he found an SS dagger in his loft as a boy. When he told his dad( my grandfather), he never saw it again.
dale.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/05/2011 23:36:19

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:We have a similar type of photo in our RM Commando gallery to the one here, ie. same set up and background of trees. In this one the contributor informed us that it was a training photo prior to his father joining 46 RM Commando.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/46+RM+Cdo_001.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

... and the QMS pictured in this photo is the same man as I used earlier in this thread!

(Same man different photo)

Nick

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 31/05/2011 17:25:46

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dale,
dale wright wrote:, From my research, I am pretty sure that the only RM Commando unit attached to this was 45.

You're quite right,
1 SS Brigade:
No3 Cdo
No4 Cdo
No6 Cdo
45 RM Cdo

2 SS Brigade:
No2 Cdo
No9 Cdo
40 RM Cdo
43 RM Cdo

3 SS Brigade:
No1 Cdo
No5 Cdo
42 RM Cdo
44 RM Cdo

4 SS Brigade:
41 RM Cdo
46 RM Cdo
47 RM Cdo
48 RM Cdo
[No4 Cdo with elements of No10 (IA) Cdo were attached for the Battle of Schedlt in place of 46 RM Cdo].

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/05/2011 00:59:52

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dale

The photo is now in our 45 RM Commando Gallery

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/RM.jpg.html

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/06/2011 12:08:07

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
dale wright
Forum Member

Hi Guys
My mother has found another photograph of my grandfather. He is training and is fourth from the right - as we look at it.
Dale.
[Thumb - grandad training.jpg]
 Filename grandad training.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 273 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  341 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/06/2011 09:46:54

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger