commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Graves of Commandos in the UK and elsewhere  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Peter

If you are anywhere near Sai Wan War Cemetery there are 5 that we do not have photos of. The details of the 3 we have, and the remaining 5 are in this album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/post+ww2/sai+wan/

There are also six RM Commandos buried in Stanley War Cemetery Hong Kong. If you need there details just let me know and I will email them to you.

The CWGC details of Stanley War Cemetery can be seen here:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=49428&mode=1

and Sai Wan War Cemetery here:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2000320&mode=1

Thanks

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Best to send the Stanley details too in case I can get there as well.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Peter

Here are the details of those whose graves are at Stanley War Cemetery, Hong Kong

FOWKE, Marine, ROGER M., CH/X 117104, No. 42 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 15 March 1947. Age 20. Grave Ref. 7. A. 9.

SELWOOD, Corporal, WILLIAM NELSON, PO/X 4424, No. 45 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 25 April 1947. Age 24. Grave Ref. 7. A. 2.

THOMPSON, Marine, THOMAS ROBERT, CH/X.4080, No. 42 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 23 March 1947. Grave Ref. 7. A. 11.

TYRIE, Corporal, ERNEST CAMPBELL, CH/X 117123, No. 42 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 20 February 1947. Grave Ref. 7. A. 15.

WATSON, Marine, MAURICE, PO/X 124306(T), No. 42 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 15 March 1947. Age 20. Grave Ref. 7. A. 14.

WOODHOUSE, Marine, ARTHUR, PO/X 5645, No. 40 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 30 March 1947. Grave Ref. 7. A. 12.

There is one additional grave with the unit shown as No.3 RM Commando which may be a typing error. If you could get a photo of his grave as well we can then check it out:

LEE, Marine, REXLEY HUGH EDWIN, PO/X 5904, No. 3 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 29 January 1947. Age 18. Grave Ref. 7. A. 10.

Thanks

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

By another of those bizarre coincedences, I've have just been sent photos of these graves at Stanley War Cemetery.
These were taken in 2005 by Mark Hudson, grandson of Fus George Barnes, 42 RM Cdo & No5 Cdo.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Good, saves me an extra trip !

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:

There is one additional grave with the unit shown as No.3 RM Commando which may be a typing error. If you could get a photo of his grave as well we can then check it out:

LEE, Marine, REXLEY HUGH EDWIN, PO/X 5904, No. 3 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines. 29 January 1947. Age 18. Grave Ref. 7. A. 10.

I believe this is an omission and should read 3 RM Commando Brigade - see RN Casualties 29 Jan 47

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1947-01JAN.htm

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick, I had actually added that as comment on the photo as I posted it. I have now placed a new album for Stanley Military Cemetery in the Post WW2 Graves gallery and included the photos of the graves you forwarded to me:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/post+ww2/

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I have the photos from Sai Wan. Shall I post them on this page or would you prefer that I send them to you for posting ?

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Pete thank you for doing that. Could you email them to me and I will upload them to the gallery on your behalf. Any problems let me know by email

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/09/2014 22:20:28

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

For info Pte Stickley was killed in an accident in the UK.

Such a shame.

Regards

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Pete,
The Commandos whose graves I photographed all appear to have died in 1946. I assume they had all been returned to their original units following the disbandment of the Commandos. Do you know the details of their deaths ?

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Peter

I have made some quick checks and found a few causes of death on the RM Commandos. Those shown from No.5 Commando I have not had so much luck on.

I have added the information to the details of the photos concerned on this link to the Sai Wan album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/post+ww2/sai+wan/

If anyone else has any information please post it here.

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I know a little more about the accident that killed Rifleman Cook. He was driving a jeep along the Fanling-Tai Po road during the evening/night of Christmas Eve and it ran over the embankment. His funeral was held on the afternoon of 27 December and among those who attended was Brigadier Fellowes, the Commanding Officer of 3 Commando Brigade.

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good work Julie,
Have you found anything about the death of Cpl Edwards at all?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/post+ww2/sai+wan/2012_HongKong_Edwards+copy.jpg.html

As I was glancing through the issues of the No5 Cdo magazine there was a discussion about how he died - but sadly no one seemed to remember the details.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi All

I have a photo somewhere of the funeral of Cpl Edwards.............I seem to remember that someone told me he died in a swimming accident. Perhaps this will jog someones memory?
Is this the same Cpl Edwards?
regards

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/04/2012 18:28:16

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger