commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter John GIBSON - 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi Stéphane,

Here is a larger version of my father's photo for your shop. I will be interested to hear if any of the veterans you meet still remember him. I do not know John White or Fred Walker I'm afraid. Hopefully when I get my fathers service records I will be able to see when exactly he joined the Beds & Herts and when he left them to join the Commando.

Regards,

Rob
[Thumb - PeterGibson-portrait150dpi.jpg]
 Filename PeterGibson-portrait150dpi.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 3Cdo 2 Troop: Peter John GIBSON
 Filesize 287 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  598 time(s)

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello ROB

Find enclosed photos about Fred WAKER & John WHITE
Hope to meet some veterans who could recall your father
bye

stéphane
[Thumb - Berneval plaque 2005 1.jpg]
 Filename Berneval plaque 2005 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  557 time(s)

[Thumb - 3 Cdo Fred WALKER 4 Troop.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo Fred WALKER 4 Troop.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 3 cdo 4 troop Fred WALKER
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  656 time(s)

[Thumb - Berneval plaque 2005.jpg]
 Filename Berneval plaque 2005.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description John WHITE 3 cdo 4 troop
 Filesize 165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  573 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi All,

After talking to relatives and searching some old photo albums, I have found out a bit more information about my father's Commando service which I thought I would share, and ask a couple of questions at the same time:

Firstly, I discovered another picture (below). This clearly shows his 3 Cdo shoulder flash and Combined Ops badge. The photo has been cut out from a larger shot, so must have been some kind of group photo. Written on the back is simply "Largs 1942". Can anyone help me with identifying what the bars on his uniform mean?

Secondly, I was pleased to discover that we have my father's Commando Service Certificate. It is presented to Private P. Gibson, and is dated 30 November 1945. Would this have been given out prior to being demobbed? I am still waiting to receive his Service records, but I noticed on some photos it was written that my dad was in 3 Troop, but Stephane's information puts him in 2 Troop. Was it usual practice to possibly swap troops like this?

Finally, It seems my father only once went over to Normandy after the war for an anniversary, and this was in 1985 (He planned to go in 1994 but by this time was too ill). He went over in 1985 with three other 3 Cdo friends - these were Arthur CHIVERS, Vic SMART and Bill BRITNELL. It would appear from photos that they met up with other 3 Cdo chaps over there including Vincent OSBOURNE and Fred WALKER, and a couple of other veterans that I can't identify as 3 Cdo, but are named Dennis COOPER and Charlie MAJOR. I have added a group picture showing several veterans from this trip (taken by my dad) to the 3 Cdo gallery. I realise that Fred WALKER was at the latest Dieppe anniversary, but do these other names ring any bells with anyone? It also appears that after this visit to Normandy, my dad corresponded with Arlette Gondree from the Pegasus Bridge Cafe for a while.

My father also had a picture from another 3 Cdo friend - "L/Cpl J.E. COATES 5511609 3 Troop 3 Commando" - which I have posted in the gallery.

Please let me know if you can help with any of my questions,

Regards,

Rob
[Thumb - PeterGibson-3Cdo-Largs1942_150dpi.jpg]
 Filename PeterGibson-3Cdo-Largs1942_150dpi.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Peter Gibson 3 Cdo - Largs 1942
 Filesize 1354 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  574 time(s)

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Rob

As far as I can make out the 'Bars', which I am assuming you mean the ones above his breast pocket ,are the ribbon for the 'Defence Medal' it is difficult in B/W but I am fairly certain.

I believe somtimes inter troop transfers took place within the units. Some times these were only temporary.

Hope this helps
Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi RON

I show your father's photo to Fred WALKER, Roy CADMAN, Jim CLINTON and John CARNEY in DIEPPE last month. But nobody recall your father. John CARNEY recall one GIBSON in his troop but i don't think so it's your father.
I enclose photo about 3 troop.
ARTHUR CHIVERS is still alive, he was in 1 troop. Bill BRITNELL who was in 1 troop too, died few months ago, his ashes has been laid around the 3 cdo monument in AMFREVILLE last june.
Ozzy OSBOURNE 3 troop is in Royal Chelsea Hospital, but not in good health.
I have too photo about 3 troop in ITALY, I will try to find it.
bye
stéphane PS) Jimmy SYNNOTT is still alive
[Thumb - 3 Cdo 3 Troop ITALY 1943.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo 3 Troop ITALY 1943.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 3 troop 3 cdo ITALY 1943
 Filesize 1863 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  801 time(s)

[Thumb - 3 Cdo 3 Troop Jimmy SYNNOTT.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo 3 Troop Jimmy SYNNOTT.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 3 troop 3 cdo Jimmy SYNNOTT
 Filesize 82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  556 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies sofar:

John M, thanks for the info about the bars. For some reason, I hadn't really put two and two together regarding the bars and his medals - it certainly does look like the Defence Medal ribbon.

Stéphane, thank you for the information about the veterans and for the picture of 3 troop. Again, I can't spot my father in this picture - although I know he served in Sicily and Italy around 1943. I guess I will have to wait for his service records to arrive, and hopefully they will show me conclusively which troop he was in. Stéphane, were you at the 41st anniversary of D-Day celebrations in 1985? I checked my fathers photos to see if a younger version of yourself appeared in any of them!

Regards,

Rob
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi ROB

No in 1985 I wasn't to the ceremonies at this time I was Gendarme and not in NORMANDY.
The photo in 1985 is good. I met all those veterans. Charles MAJOR died few years ago. Dennis COOPER was in 4 cdo, but was in reinforcement for Flushing.
I have an other photo about 3 troop before D.Day. but need to do copy.
Do you know, SCOTTY ? He was in 3 troop.
Have you got any other photos of ceremonies ?
bye

stéphane
[Thumb - 3 cdo Stan SCOTT 2004.jpg]
 Filename 3 cdo Stan SCOTT 2004.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description SCOTTY 3 troop 3 cdo 2004
 Filesize 376 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  572 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi Stéphane,

I have about 50 photos of the 1985 D-Day ceremony including more of veterans, some of Pegasus bridge and the various ceremonies. I will fetch the negatives from my mother's house and get a full set put onto a CD and then upload them to a photo site so you can all take a look if interested. This may take me a couple of weeks to do though - will let you know when they are ready.

Afraid I don't know Scotty - The only veterans I ever remember meeting when I was a child were Arhtur CHIVERS and Bill BRITNELL.

Regards,

Rob
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Rob Gibson wrote:Hi Stéphane,

I have about 50 photos of the 1985 D-Day ceremony including more of veterans, some of Pegasus bridge and the various ceremonies. I will fetch the negatives from my mother's house and get a full set put onto a CD and then upload them to a photo site so you can all take a look if interested. This may take me a couple of weeks to do though - will let you know when they are ready.

Regards,

Rob

Don't forget to post any photos in the CVA Gallery as well as on the Forum - using the Gallery means that photos of interest don't 'get lost' in pages of text and, therefore, may be viewed by a larger range of people.

Cheers,
Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/09/2007 12:25:32

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Rob

Have you got Arthur CHIVERS's adress ? Do you want it ?

His daughter send to me few photos, few weeks ago.

stéphane
[Thumb - 3 Cdo Arthur CHIVERS 1 Troop.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo Arthur CHIVERS 1 Troop.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Arthur CHIVERS 3 CDO 1 TROOP
 Filesize 559 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  583 time(s)

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Rob

I forget to enclose this photo about Arthur CHIVERS and myself taken in 2004.
bye
stéphane
[Thumb - Arthur CHIVERS & Stéphane 2004.jpg]
 Filename Arthur CHIVERS & Stéphane 2004.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Arthur CHIVERS 3 cdo 1 troop & stéphane June 2004
 Filesize 353 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  515 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi Stéphane,

Thanks for your replies. Yes please, it would be great if you could send me Arthur CHIVERS address.
Unfortunately, I am unable to get hold of the negatives for the pictures of the 1985 DDay ceremonies, so instead I will get a scanner in a couple of weeks and scan them all in for you - sorry for the delay...

Regards,

Rob
Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi,

I was interested in the correspondence posted here concerning 3 Commando and in particular the group photo of 3 troop. I have an almost identical photo (hopefully shown below), but of a different grouping, also from 3 Commando.This belonged to my late father who served in the unit and appears in the photo; Private A.C. Grant , "Archie Grant", back row, 4th from the left.
I don't know which troop he was in and therefore I can't precisely identify the group. Typically, my father rarely spoke about his service and so it has been necessary to piece together any information. The photo has a handwritten note "Italy November 1943".
He undertook commando training in October 1942, was posted to 3 Commando, transferred to 62 Commando in early 1943, then 2SAS in N.Africa and Sicily and posted again to 3 Commando at the end of September 1943. This was just before the battle of Termoli. After the battle 3 Commando was sent to Molfetta near Bari for rest and recreation. My guess is that this is where the photos were taken.
He remained with 3 Commando until July 1944.

As well as contributing something which might be of general interest, the reason for posting in this topic is the possibility that Peter John Gibson might appear in the group. The soldier in the middle row, 5th from the right, seems to show some resemblance.

Hope this is helpful.

Ian Grant
[Thumb - 3 Commando Italy November 1943.jpg]
 Filename 3 Commando Italy November 1943.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1206 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  871 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for posting your photo - it definitely is my father, middle row, 5th from right. I have to say that yours is the first picture I have received/seen with my father on, so I am very pleased and very grateful to you for sharing it.

I'm afraid that I am also unable to find conclusive proof so far of which troop my father was in, so can't shed any light on that for you. I applied for his service records, and although fairly detailed, they don't have any mention of a troop number. My best guess so far is 3 Troop, but he doesn't appear in Stephane's 3 Troop photo above - so I am somewhat confused. I hope to speak to Scotty of 3Cdo shortly who may be able to enlighten me.

Does anyone else recognise any of the other men in Ian's photo that could help us work out which troop this was?

Regards,

Rob
SMcGurk
Forum Member

I'm going to have someone look at that photo later on to see if my grandfather is in it. There is a resemblance to one of the men but seen as I never knew him, and have only around 3 photographs I can't be sure. My grandfather was in Commando No 3 aswell, but I also have no idea which troop. I'll let you know if I find anything out.
(Id be grateful if anyone with any knowledge of 3Cdo or connections with veterans could tell me if they know of a Francis McGurk? I have posted a seperate thread but no replies yet. He's a mystery man so Im desperate for some info!!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/06/2008 14:07:47

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger