commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Anzio Beachhead 63rd Landing Anniversary  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
dan
Forum Member

Dear Sir

May I introduce me and my friends. I am the president of an association called "SHINGLE OPERATION 1944" envolved in historical researches about the Anzio Landing and the following Battles.

We cooperate with the local Mayors and British Embassy in Rome (col Hogin) to organize the anniversarie' ceremonies and to commemorate the Allies (british mainly) in the Anzio Beachhead on 1944. We are one of the founders of the Anzio Beachhead Museum and the consultants in many local War Museums (see: www.pianadelleorme.it) .

We are writing to you just to let you know that this year (63rd anniversary) we have been proud to dedicate a reenactors group (about 9 people) to the 9 - 40 RM - and 43 RM COMMANDO (we were about 105 re-enactors with 50 vehicles in the last ceremony in Anzio).

Perhaps you could be interested to receive some pictures or information regarding the last Anzio anniversary and that's why I enclose some. I have also a copy of your interesting Magazine and maybe you could be interested also in publishing an article about our ceremony dedicated to the WW2 COMMANDO Veterans.

If so, please contact us and we will be deeply proud and happy to give you all the details you will like to know.

We will never forget all the WW2 British Soldiers that fought and died in our land for our freedom.

All our love and thanks to them

"At the going down of the sun... we do remebre Them"

Sincerely Yours

arch. Diego Cancelli

--------

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size
nlivingstone
Forum Member

Hello,

Thanks for this interesting post, if I had known, I might well have travelled down to Anzio myself...!

In fact, I will be in Anzio from 17-20 March 2007, to commemorate the 63rd anniversary of the death of my Uncle, Captain David Balls, 9 Commando, who was killed in the wadis north of Anzio on Operation X (19 March 1944). I have managed to locate the exact place where he was killed, as well as the time, and plan to be in the right spot at the right moment. Like most killed with him that day (23 in all) he has no known grave.

I also plan to re-visit the cemeteries and various other places, such as The Boot, the Pantano Ditch and the Factory and perhaps the landing beach.

I'm not sure where you all live, but if there are any of you actually in Anzio, it would be great to meet up. I will be staying at La Tavernetta, Via Catalina 7 (tel. 06 984 6104) from Saturday 17 March until Tuesday 20 March 2007. I plan to be out and about during the day, but you can leave a message. Or e-mail me: [email protected].

Look forward to hearing from you,
Best regards
Neil

jackie mcginnis-schulze
Forum Member

neil
i was rereading my uncles letters this evening after watching ken burns war the landing at anzio. you have never known he was there. may 16th letter he wrote about having dinner of frried potates , eggs and more good stuff. of course he had non of that. he was a commando american volunteer no 1 at the landing of north africa. he was transferred back to the 34th mp headquarters as all the american commandos were back to us unites after na. jackie mcginnis-schulze

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger