commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
In search of a 3th Commando veteran  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Tristan
Forum Member

Hello,

Yesterday the fifth of may it was liberation day here in Holland.
Me and my brother where thinking about several years earlier;

I'm from the town of Brachterbeek, and veterans of the 3th Commando's used to come over here to commemorate Eric Harden.

I'm looking for some background information, about a veteran wich I used to correspond with, I used to send him Christmas cards.
He was also one of the veterans that came over.

I was quite young back then so I don't really remember a whole lot of it.
I believe the veterans name was; Les Brown (not 100% sure)

Here's a picture of him together with my brother and me;

I hope he is still going strong,

Greetings Tristan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/05/2010 10:15:47

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Tristan

Welcome to the CVA. What a great photo you posted. It reminded me of another young person who recalled a veteran they had met , on that occasion Joe Burnett of No.4 Commando. The photo he sent can be seen here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/4+cdo+veterans/Joe+Burnett+-+No_+4+C+ommando+B+Troop.jpg.html

Somehow, in my mind, your photo and his sum up what the sacrifices that so many made were all about, freedom and future generations.

I will place your photo, if I may, in the CVA gallery for veterans of No.3 Cdo. and I will make some enqs to see if we can find some information for you regarding the veteran in your photo.

Best wishes

Pete

Ps I have just made a quick check and seen that ther was a trooper Les Brown in No.3 Cdo and he is mentioned in our chairman, Stan Scott's book, Fighting with the Commandos. He is mentioned, albeit briefly, as being severely wounded in an action, but I will contact Stan to see if we can clarify anything about the identity of the man in your photo.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 06/05/2010 23:54:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

This is very likely to be Les C Brown (No 3 Cdo) formerly of Duston, Northampton who sadly passed away in 2007. Les was a member of the CVA and a dear friend of most of those in the photo below including Freddie Walker, Roy Cadman, Jim Petrie and John White all who are still very much alive. In fact they shall be in Normandy again this coming June; I shall enquire as to whether they will be in Brachterbeek and let you know.

Kind regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Tristan
Forum Member

Thank you for the replies so far,
I feel sorry to hear that he passed away,
may he Rest in Peace.

My brother and me have found one of the letters that I recieved of him. We found it on the attic.

At the bottom of this message there is a copy of it;
he included a picture of one of the CVA reunions.

If I remember correctly he did write to me that he was wounded in combat.
You may use these pictures to post on the website.

Greetings,
Tristan
[Thumb - Foto-B3YSKEEL.jpg]
 Filename Foto-B3YSKEEL.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  427 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 07/05/2010 13:52:18

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I've added a few names to the photo:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Gatherings+pre+CVA/reunions/CA+Reunion+circa+99.bmp.html

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger