commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Interpreting X lists  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
sammyb
Forum Member

Hello - I have been trying to interpret the X list from my relatives service record.

I have used the information that is on this forum to understand the relevance of the Xi, Xii nomenclature but I'm still not fully clear on all the details on the form.

The are a lot of codes in there to do with promotions which I don't fully understand but I'm most interested in the date at which he left Middle East Commando.

Is there anyone who can provide guidance on this?

Thanks,
Sam
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Sam

A very good source of info regarding the various codes etc that are used in Army records is the actual Army Personnel Dept. It might be well worth giving them a phone call, I found that the person I spoke to regarding my father's records was very knowledgeable. I could if you like email this individual regarding your request to see if it would be ok to contact her in person, as I say she was very helpful. You could of course take pot luck and just call yourself, but I have found that the amount of info and help that you get from any organisation can vary quite a bit depending on who you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to initially speak to.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2010 00:34:12

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
sammyb
Forum Member

Hello Andy - thanks for the offer of help. I would like it very much if you could make contact on my behalf.

Sam
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Sam

I will send the lady at the Army Personnel Centre an email tommorrow, will let you know if she does or does not get back to me, so you will at least know where you stand. If she does not reply (she may no longer work there or may have moved depts etc) I think it would still be worth contacting the Personnel Centre, but lets see what happens with my email / request first.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
sammyb
Forum Member

Thanks Andy - thats great
Sam
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Sam,

As with all Service jargon and abbreviations, the Service Records can be confusing
But the X list is all about transfers between, or within, units rather than promotions etc
If Andy's contact can't help you, I can interpret them fairly well and would be happy to try and help - if you're able to scan the documents then just email me a copy.

Rgds,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Sam

I have just received a reply back from the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow, the person's name is Bernadette Hand and is she is happy for you to contact her directly, her email address is:

[email protected]

Hope this will be of some help, cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/05/2010 16:34:29

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger