commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John (Jack) Mawson, No7 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
andymawson
Forum Member

My Dad, John Mawson (widely known as 'Jack') was a commando captured when Crete fell. I know very little about his war (except what I've learned from the published history) as he was a very stoic individual about his experiences. I have some old photos which I'd love to share with you guys - some with his commando unit and some as a prisoner of war. I am trying to find out as much about his experience as I can. I believe he was part of 7 Commando. If anyone can help out I'd appreciate it - either pointing me in the right direction toward resources - or wouldn't it be great if someone remembered him?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 13/02/2009 21:21:29

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Andy

Welcome to the forums.

I know very little about 7 Cdo apart from the fact they and many others were practicaly abandoned on Crete when things got really tough.....thier transport didn't show up !!!

You have probably got this book but it is a very good reference for the Crete affair so I thought I'd mention it.

'Crete: The Battle and Resistance'
by Antony Beevor
Penguin

I actually got my copy when I vivisted Crete a couple of year ago.

The population there hold the Commandos in high esteem as some helped with the organisation of the resistance forces after the battle.

Good luck in your quest.
Regards
John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/09/2007 09:35:05

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the CVA forum.
Most of us here are sons/daughters or grandsons/ granddaughters of Commandos and, generally, our stories are the same- we'd like to find out more about what our fathers/uncles/grandfathers etc did during the War as none of them talked much about it...
[Unlike some of the ex-Special Forces these days :wink: ]
Here we are 60+ years after they were disbanded and we still know next to nothing about those great, brave gentlemen who volunteered to do some of the toughest tasks during the War and just got on with it.
However, with the aid of this excellent forum we are all able to build up our general knowledge of all The Commando Units, how they operated, and, hopefully, what our own relatives did...
Any input of information and photographs will help build up that bigger picture and tell the story that is long overdue!
Good luck with your search,
nick

ps. Don't forget that there is an excellent CVA Gallery to post photos in too...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/09/2007 15:06:39

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger