commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt. Eric Kiaer 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Lt. Eric Kiaer KIA 06/06/44

During research on 3Cdo I have received information from Stanley Kiaer, brother of Eric. Stanley has identified Eric in a photo in the gallery that shows Eric sat next to John Pooley. I have cropped this photo to include Peter Young, John Pooley and Eric Kiaer and have attached it to this post. Information in this post has been kindly provided by Stanley Kiaer.

Eric was originally in No 10 Independent Company (IC) before moving to No 2 IC then No 4 IC and 3Cdo.

Eric was a POW in Italy and escaped (with others) walking the length of the Apennines for 3 months before reaching allied lines (this was mentioned in dispatches). There was a joke in 3Cdo that Eric was lazy as this was only a short walk!!

After escape from POW camp Eric was in Holding Commando in Wrexham when he heard about plans for an invasion of Europe at which point he volunteered for this action.

An account of the Action in which Eric was killed can be found on page 311 of March Past by Lord Lovat.

Eric was brother to Leslie (10th Para Battalion 3 Platoon) KIA in Arnhem shortly after Eric?s death. Eric?s Brother in law was Max Harper-Gow.

Thanks again to Stanley Kiaer for this account and please let us know if you have any further information about Eric Kiaer.

Regards

Nick
[Thumb - Eric Kiaer.jpg]
 Filename Eric Kiaer.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 447 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  518 time(s)

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Thanks for this posting. I have included some of the details from your forum message in the No.3 Cdo In Remembrance album where you posted the photo. I have also updated the photo so it only shows Eric and included some details from the CWGC entry. Thanks to Stanley for providing the information.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+fallen/Lt_+Eric+Kiaer.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick

You may want to mention to Stanley that we also have a photo of his brother's grave at Bayeux

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/BAYEUX+Cemetery/3+cdo+graves/E_+KIAER.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

thanks for for cropping the pic that looks much better. I will send a copy of the picture of Erics grave to Stanley too. Stanley is going to look into Erics service in more detail so he may have more information for the forum in the future.

Nick

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger