commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Hugo Wynne No. 2 Commando 5 troop and HQ troop  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have received an email which I quote here from Eric Buckmaster regarding the death of one of his No.2 Commando comrades :

"Sadly I have to report that our Old Comrade from 2 Commando who lived in New Zealand, Hugo Wynne, has died, and his Funeral will be at midnight tonight our time , which will be approx 1pm Monday afternoon in NZ 12thApril. (they are some 12 / 13 hours ahead of us dependant upon the time of the year.)
Hugo was 93 and seemingly had a fall in the Sheltered Home where he lived, and died in hospital at 11.00pm last Monday. The Carer lady who has looked after him for many years telephoned to tell me . I also had a call from one of his acquaintances who like Hugo has lived in NZ for a long time.
As you may know Hugo was a member of the Liverpool Scottish TA. pre War, then part of No 4 Independant Company, and in turn No 2 Commando. He was in 5 Troop initially, but then transfered to HQ. Troop. He first went to New Zealand in 1948, with his father and his only sister. He and his father worked in the timber trade. After 15 years, his father & sister wanted to return to the UK, so he brought them back and settled his Dad back in the North, but his sister had a house down in Kent. Hugo then returned to NZ and by chance met up with another man who had timber interests and the pair of them set up quite a succesful business. During 2 Commando days I only knew him as member of the Unit in HQ Troop, But met up with him when I went to NZ in the later years. When I last saw him in December he was rather frail and his eyes had almost given up, but he was still able converse about the old days and current times. He told me that when he first went to NZ you really could not go wrong if you had a bit of drive about you. He has ben described to me as a very pleasant charming man, who would help and do anything for anybody who needed it.. He always said that his lady carer was the daughter that he never had."

My thanks to Eric for providing the above.

Here are links to 2 pictures we have of Hugo both taken whilst he was in No.4 Independent Company:

In this first one he is kneeling next to Ken McAllister, my uncle:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Independent+Companies/No_4+Independent+Coy_.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

In this second one they were just back from Operation Scissorforce in Norway :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Independent+Companies/Some+of+2+cmdo+back+in+Scotland+after+Norway.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Rest in peace Hugo
[Thumb - Hugo Wynne No.2 Commando.jpg]
 Filename Hugo Wynne No.2 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  394 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:05:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very sad news indeed

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This photo was sent to me by Eric Buckmaster. He took the photo when visiting Hugo Wynne, a fellow 5 troop No.2 Commando. The woman is Sharon Willoughby who cared for Hugo. Hugo described her as the "daughter he never had".

For a clearer version of this photo which is now in the No.2 Commando veterans album click on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/Hugo+Wynne+and+Sharon+Willoughby.jpg.html

Rest in peace Hugo
[Thumb - Hugo Wynne and Sharon Willoughby.jpg]
 Filename Hugo Wynne and Sharon Willoughby.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1233 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  429 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 15/05/2010 21:06:02

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger