commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Capt Kenneth Malcolm Pammenter, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Vicky Randall
Forum Member

I am looking for information on my father's career in Burma. Any suggestions, please.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/02/2009 21:23:36

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vicky
I have a group photograph of all the officers of No 5 Commando taken October 1943 and Lt K Pammenter is stood at the back
I also have a very early newsletter No6 from the Commando Association dated March 1948 and on page 5 is the obituary .One of the names on it is Major KM Pammenter The Hussars
A good book to read about No5 in Burma is Raiders Of The Arakan by CE Lucas Phillips

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Vicky Randall wrote:I am looking for information on my father's career in Burma. Any suggestions, please.

Vicky, welcome to the CVA forum, here is an extract from The Green Beret by Hilary St George Saunders. Chapter XXVI, The Hill in the Jungle, page 339/340 in which your father gets a mention

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Documents/hill+in+the+jungle/Hill+in+Jungle_+Green+Beret339.jpg.html
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Documents/hill+in+the+jungle/Hill+in+JungleGreen+Beret340.jpg.html

Incidently, my father wrote a footnote saying " shortly after this 3 & 4 Sub-sections became surrounded & were caught in the open by withering fire. Capt Kerr was badly wounded having his arm practically severed by machine gun fire.
Everywhere lay dead or wounded Commandos. Those who could move tried to reach the cover of the jungle but were shot down immediately. Capt Kerr was again hit in both legs & lost consciousness.
4 Troop coming to the rescue brought 2" mortars into play & after a while they seemed to be having some effect.
Just before dusk, Lt Noble (Coldstream Guards) brought a stretcher party out into the open & at great personal risk took Capt Kerr & myself [then Rfn Mick Collins] to cover.
For this he was awarded the MC
."
My father does mention Commandos that were wounded, died of wounds or were killed in this action but the list is short so I believe he only mentions cdos from his troop.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 17/12/2017 22:17:43

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vicky,

Whilst searching for something else I came across three photos of your father, Capt (later Major) Kenneth Malcolm Pammenter, No.5 Commando, at the Eastern Warfare School in Brockenhurst.

They can also be see in the Commando Training Album in the Gallery

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Training/?g2_page=3

Nick

[Thumb - School of Eastern Warfare.2.jpg]
 Filename School of Eastern Warfare.2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  447 time(s)

[Thumb - School of Eastern Warfare.3.jpg]
 Filename School of Eastern Warfare.3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  460 time(s)

[Thumb - School of Eastern Warfare.1.jpg]
 Filename School of Eastern Warfare.1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  446 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger