commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Padre Banting, No2 Cdo, KIA Sarande  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Paul Watson
Forum Member

Gentlemen,
Does anyone have any memories of the circumstances of Padre Gareth Banting's death? He was a close friend of my wife's grandfather, deceased 6/2004, who was never able to fully resolve this question.
There is an account in the family that Padre Banting died while protecting German prisoners from Albanian partisans. Could that be true?

Many thanks to anyone who can help, and just...many thanks.
Paul Watson

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 11/10/2012 11:37:10

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul. I was not present at the scene of the incident, however, the War Diaries for No. 2 Cdo for October 10, 1944 state the following for Sarande, Albania:

...Revd. Banting takes party from 3 Tp to bury Capt. Parsons, Lieut. Coyle, Gnr. Clarke and Pte. Lyons. After burial he moved fwd to bury German dead in same posn, but is blown up on a mine. Stretcher party finds he has died of wounds - carried back to SARANDE by M.O. before nightfall.

I hope this information will be of assistance to you. Was your wife's grandfather with No. 2 Cdo as well?

Regards,

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger