commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Maj B D Butler MC, No. 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Young Capt
Forum Member

Hello all,

Can anyone help me with any information, or point me towards some, on Maj Brian Butler MC, OC of 4 Troop, No. 3 Cdo?

Maj Butler was an Old Boy of my school and, like me, had a lot of involvement with the school's cadet force. I am taking a tour group of cadets to Normandy in May and would very much like to pay our respects to Maj Butler's memory.

I know he is buried in Ranville, and I know the circumstances of his death; what I am particularly interested in is anything to help retrace No. 3 Cdo's attack on the Merville Battery on 7 June, in which Maj Butler played a significant part.

That said, anything about him at all will be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Welcome to the CVA

In the book Storm from the Sea by Brig. Peter Young DSO MC ** a chapter is dedicated to the assault on the Merville battery. Brian Butler, whom I believe was a Captain in 4 troop and took over command when Major Pooley was killed, is mentioned. Sadly Brian Butler was killed on the 11th June, the very day he was promoted to Major. He is also mentioned in the book Memoirs of a Fighting Commando in WW2 by Brigadier John Durnford Slater. It is interesting there that the author says he had posted 3 of his finest officers to the CBTC Achnacarry prior to the D Day landings. He says " I was determined that those Commandos who had in previous operations taken the most consistent risks should be placed in safer employment. None would hear of it but by issuing a direct order, I had George Herbert, John Pooley, and Brian Butler, posted to our depot at Achnacarry". However due to their constant stream of messages "each more full of misery than the last" he permitted them to rejoin for the landings. Sadly all 3 were subsequently killed in action. You have probably found these references to Major Butler MC on our site already but if not, check these links to our galleries:
War Graves album for Ranville:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/RANVILLE+War+Cemetery/3+cdo+graves/B_+BUTLER.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

No.3 Commando Officers Limehouse:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/No_3+Cdo_.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

As a result of your inquiry I have also found him in this photo of
No.3 Commando 4 troop Limehouse ( he is back row extreme left)
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/4+trp/4+troop/3_Commando+4+Troop+1944+without+numbers.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I have cropped his picture from this photo and will add it to the No.3 Cdo In Remembrance album in due course

I hope this is of some help and wish you well on your trip. If you have access to any other photos of Major Butler MC please consider allowing the CVA to post them on our site as a tribute to this gallant Commando Officer

Regards

Pete
[Thumb - Brian Butler MC.jpg]
 Filename Brian Butler MC.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description cropped from 4 troop limehouse photo
 Filesize 50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  520 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 23/03/2010 17:23:45

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Young Capt
Forum Member

Pete,

Great - thanks for the quotes from Brig Durnford Slater's book; just the kind of thing I'm after to paint a picture of a man who should be an inspiration to my guys.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Photo and details now placed in the No.3 Commando "In Remembrance" album. Here is the link to that entry:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+fallen/Brian+Butler+MC.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Capt. YOUNG

I sent to you a private e-mail. Maybe I could help you.

sincerely

stéphane
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/war_3cdo.htm

The official source.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger