commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Jim Ridgeway 40 RM Cdo  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

It is with much sadness that we inform of the passing of a fellow Commando and CVA member Jim Ridgeway RM.

Email from Giovanni Polli:

I'm sorry to inform you that Jim Ridgway passed away this morning at the University College Hospital Wales in Cardiff. His cremation will take place on tuesday 30th. March at Christ Church Radyr at 11 am. There will be a Standard Bearer + one attending from the Glamorgan Branch of the RMA.

Tomorrow I will attempt to organise a Bugler, and, from what I gather, virtually all funeral directors organise the Union Jack; do you know if this is correct?

Jims son Rob is up from Maidstone in Kent to organise proceedings; if anyone wishes to contact him or better still, impart information about Jim, you can contact him on 07758810471.

Unfortunately solid infromation is hard to come by....Jim was in 877 Squad which also honed Vic. Dean, Scouse Cargill, Lofty Sharplin, Nigel Watson and Mike Galley; so this is where the trail runs dry. He was a Section Commander, went in to Signals, joined 40 Commando.......Troop unknown?? Could have been HQ because after landing at Suez by Buffallo he was liasing with No. 2 Parachute Regt.

His claim to fame was having his photograph in the national press raising the flag at Navy House in Port Said.

As you know Jim came to us late on, but once an honoury member of B Tp was one of its staunchest supporters.

It was tragic that, even though very ill, he had booked with us to visit the IWM and The Mountbatten Festival on his 73rd birthday 3rd March; and that was when he was taken back in to hospital.

He certainly , in his short time with 'B'Tp left an indelible mark.
I will never forget the tenderness he showed when caring for Vic Dean in Vics last few days.
Yours aye!
Giovanni
[Thumb - RIDGWAY.jpg]
 Filename RIDGWAY.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  459 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/03/2010 23:20:12

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

May Jim Ridgeway rest in peace.

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
asparkle
Forum Member

Dad was with the SBS in Cyprus, also in Suez and Malta. He loved being part of the Royal Marine community and was very happy to be accepted with such enthusiasm and support. Miss you Dad, love and miss you everyday.

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger