commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
JACK/JOHN GLOVER COMMANDO TRAINING  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jmglover
Forum Member

Hi everyone,
I've began a quest to find relatives of my husband. Jack/John GLOVER was in WW1, we don't know what he did or what Regt. He is said to have put up his age, and was invalided out, year unknown. Perhaps he was born 1900ish? My husband says he was from Frome, Somerset.
He was training Commandoes in Scotland in the 1940's, he could well have done that for many years, we don't know his Army history at all.
My husband was a 12year old in Staffordshire when "Jack" GLOVER called and stayed sometime around 1942-3, he was related, but we don't know how. Jack used to go running barechested in the cold and snow.
We are coming to the UK later this year, and thought we might be able to find out something about him, and find his given name also, that would be a help to trace his WW1 service, and perhaps some family. We know he had a son Reginald who was in WW11.
Thanks for any help you can give,
Cheers,
Jill, Brisbane.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just to let everyone know I have contacted Jill by pm initially as she had posted her message onto a different message subject entirely. Hence now this single topic message. I have also contacted Eric Buckmaster from No.2 Cdo to see if he could remember the names of any of the Achnacarry instructors. Eric's reply was " In my minds eye I can see several of the Instructors that we had, but cannot recall their names. They were either Sergeants or WO's. 2 of them were gunnery instructors, and were the ones who manned the Bren Guns and fired at us when we were crossing Loch Lockie. Richochet's off the water were the greatest danger there. 2 more came from the Police Physical Training Dept. The one who's name that I can remember was Sergeant Bell. ( Can you guess he was known as " DingDong " !!!) A very well set up individual who's arms were probably as thick as my thighs." I have informed Jill of the numerous other training areas before Achnacarry became the CBTC and also of the training done elsewhere on matters of Mountain Warfare, demolitions, etc.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/03/2010 12:13:02

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete - we had another member whose father was an instructor at Achnacarry:

Yvonne Rotchell, daughter of Sergeant Major
Charles Rotchell who served as an instructor at
Achnacarry fromaprox 1941 - 1943. He was in the Coldstream Guards.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/42.page

We did not get any information from her after the initial post.

Janet Bishop
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks for that Janet...Jill will be trying to contact Yvonne herself

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger