commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Re:14/15 July 1943 - Punta dei Malati - 3 Commando Bridge  XML
Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Some photos of the bridge as it is now courtesy of Isla St Clair :

https://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/malati/

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/10/2021 13:29:46

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

68 years ago on this day No.3 Commando were involved in the taking of the bridge at Punta dei Malati in Sicily. Montgomery later ordered the bridge to be known as '3 Commando Bridge' .

The Fallen are remembered with honour at Syracuse and Catania War Cemteries as well as on the Cassino Memorial

https://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+Graves+Italy/syracuse/

https://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+Graves+Italy/catania/

https://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+Graves+Italy/Cassino+memorial/

We also remember them here

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 29/10/2021 13:30:02

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

what is Isla St Claire 's connection with the Commandos? I remember her well on the BBC

SE Donnison
[MSN]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Isla's uncle was Alexander Innes Sinclaire of No 3 Commando who was on the Dieppe raid and then tragically killed in action in Normandy on 6 June 1944.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A reminder that it is 69 years since the action at Punta dei Malati. The Fallen are remembered with honour at the Cemeteries above and on the Cassino Memorial

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Follow this link to view the recollections of Lieutenant John Channon Erskine, No.3 Commando, on operations in Sicily including Malati Bridge. Provided courtesy of his son Andrew Erskine. Next month it will be the 70th anniversay of the operations at Punta dei Malati in Sicily:

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Letters/Erskine_J+3+Commando+Sicily.pdf.html

The original transcript is stored in the Australian War Memorial Archives. This PDF copy was compiled for the family by John Hood, the editor of Clio (the Journal of the ACT History Teachers' Association).

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 29/10/2021 13:30:50

[Email]
grayden
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Follow this link to view the recollections of Lieutenant John Channon Erskine, No.3 Commando, on operations in Sicily including Malati Bridge. Provided courtesy of his son Andrew Erskine. Next month it will be the 70th anniversay of the operations at Punta dei Malati in Sicily:

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Letters/Erskine_J+3+Commando+Sicily.pdf.html

The original transcript is stored in the Australian War Memorial Archives. This PDF copy was compiled for the family by John Hood, the editor of Clio (the Journal of the ACT History Teachers' Association).

Hi Pete,
I'm a newby and researching my uncles war service. He was at Malati bridge in the East York's as part of the 50th Div relief force. I am writing a book about his six years of war service and I would like permision to reference and cite some of the content in John Erskines diary. Is it possible that you can provide permission or if its his Son Andrew how can he be contacted? I see the article is with the Australian War Memorial archive so perhaps they could help.

Regards,

Graham

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/10/2021 13:32:22

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Graham

If you private message me (pm) your email address I will forward it onto Andrew Erskine so you can liaise direct.

Regards

Pete

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just a reminder that it was 74 years ago on the 14th July 1943, that No 3 Commando took part in this action. Reading reports about the action is good but by searching the new Roll of Honour database by date order, rather than surname order, these events seem to have more poignancy. The Fallen are listed there in date order, one after another.

73 years ago on this one day, and in this one action, and from this one unit , 40 well trained Commandos, all volunteers from their various Regiments and attached to No 3 Commando, were killed. One can only imagine how many were also wounded. No wonder Montgomery later renamed the Punta dei Malati Bridge 'No 3 Commando Bridge.'

We will remember them

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/10/2021 13:32:00

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bless each and every one of them.

Never forgotten.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Always remembered with honour.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger