commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John Charles Hughes SOUTHWORTH MM  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

It is with much sadness that we inform of the passing of John Charles Hughes Southworth, No 1 Commando, on Friday 26 February 2010, aged 89 years. John leaves his dear wife Doreen.

Our thoughts are with Doreen and her family in their time of sadness.

Funeral details to follow.

Lance Sergeant John Charles Hughes Southworth
4079448, South Wales Borderers, No 1 Commando
Military Medal (Periodic)

On the afternoon of 27th February 1943 Davidson's Troop, No 1 Commando put in an attack on the steep side of a hill north of the Sedjenane Valley. LSgt Southworth was IC Sub-Section of this Troop. The Troop attacked under very heavy machine-gun fire and several times were pinned down. Finally the position was taken by assault and LSgt Southworth led his section in the forefront of the assault. During this action he was severely wounded in the leg and although in great pain he still led his section foreward and urged them on. The assault was successful. The great powers of leadership, courage and devotion to duty displayed by this NCO was largely responsible for the success of the assault.

(L.G. 23.9.43)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:12:08

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My thoughts and prayers are with John's family and friends, may He Rest in Peace.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

a true hero My thoughts too with his family

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Attached is a photo of John Charles Hughes Southworth MM. John provided this photo to Tom Tunney who is the owner of a website on the 16th Durham Light Infantry. Tom spoke to John Southworth, and others from No.1 Commando, whilst researching the action at Sedjenane, which is now recorded on his excellent site which can be found on this link (don't forget to click on the next marker at the bottom of each page). The site contains the personal memories of John and other Commandos from 4 troop No.1 - William Ling and Arthur Jackson :

http://16dli.awardspace.com/page180.html

I contacted Tom and he has kindly given permission for the CVA to use this photo which I will place in the No.1 Cdo album in due course

**gallery now updated** http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/John+Southworth+MM+copy.jpg.html

Rest in peace John
[Thumb - John Southworth MM copy.jpg]
 Filename John Southworth MM copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  394 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/03/2010 18:25:23

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger