commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Soldier Toasts Team Behind OSPREY Body Armour  XML
Forum Index » UK Armed Forces Updates
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

(To view this on the website click here)

26/02/2010 14:47

Ministry Of Defence

SOLDIER TOASTS TEAM BEHIND OSPREY BODY ARMOUR

A soldier whose life was saved by his body armour in Afghanistan has thanked the team who made it - by buying them a pint.

Lance Sergeant Daniel Collins from the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards was shot in the back after coming under sporadic fire from insurgents whilst out on patrol in Helmand in 2009.

His Osprey body armour, which is made of ceramic ballistic plates designed to protect vital organs, stopped the bullet from piercing his body, saving his life.

Lance Sgt Collins said:

"When I was shot I thought the worst, especially because it from only about 200 metres away and I think it was a 7.62mm round - that's a high calibre bullet to be hit by. I was examined on the spot expecting to be told bad news but there was nothing there. The body armour had stopped the bullet and saved my life."

After receiving medical care for bruising the 27-year-old from Cardigan, West Wales, was ready for work and back on the front line within seven days.

Lance Sgt Collins expressed his gratitude to the manufacturers of his life-saving body armour:

"I said after I had been hit that I wanted to meet whoever designed Osprey and buy him a pint - I didn't realise that quite so many people had been involved in getting it to theatre!."

True to his word, the soldier met Kevin Butterly of Coventry manufacturers NP Aerospace in Cardiff pub The Old Arcade - and bought him a pint.

The body armour, which has been in service since early 2006, consists of hard armour protective plates and a fragmentation vest.

It was introduced to operational theatre after a request from troops on the ground for armour that met defined requirements.

The process, from its conception by experts at the Defence Science Technology Laboratory (DSTL) in Porton Down, Wiltshire, to being manufactured by NP Aerospace took as few as 12 weeks.

DE&S Defence Clothing Project Manager Mike Piggot, who worked on the Osprey Body Armour, said it had been a real boost to the team to meet Lance Sgt Collins.

He added:

"It was big job for the team to deliver this essential kit in such a short time but we were determined to do it. The team is always thinking about the boys and girls out on Operation and we are committed to delivering the best equipment to them. This body armour is one of the best in the world and we are proud that, collectively, our hard work has paid off. Daniel is living proof of this."

Chairman and Chief Executive of NP Aerospace Roger Medwell, said that working on the body armour had been a great example of the MOD and Industry working in partnership.

"It was a challenge to get the armour produced in such a short time as well as meet the high standards set by the MOD but our staff was determined to work around the clock in order to meet this commitment. Not a day went by when we didn't think of the troops out in Afghanistan and this would drive us to get this armour out to them. "

Lance Sgt Collins concluded:

"It is a real honour to meet all the people who worked on it, from the guys at DSTL who came up with the conception to the team in DE&S right through to those who produce it at NP Aerospace. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be sitting here telling my story - they saved my life.

The Osprey body armour is just one element of the personal protection which also includes the Mark 6A Helmet and ballistic eye protection.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/02/2010 10:49:38

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » UK Armed Forces Updates
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger