commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.4 Commando D Troop photo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have 2 high resolution photos in the gallery of 4 Cdo D troop provided by Richard Wells. One is a hats on version, the other a hats off version. His grandfather Jack Wells was in D troop and in this picture. Stephane recognised the photo and identified Pat Porteous VC and Tanky Byrne as also being in it. He had been informed the picture was taken in Troon in 1942. Richard and I had made enqs but there was no such church in Troon that matched the picture. Further checks revealed little. That is until Erika Garratt emailed me today and mentioned that her mother had a copy of this picture with Keswick written on the back. Erika's great uncle Kenneth Hellyer is in the photo. Sadly Kenneth did not survive the war. There is a picture of Kenneth in the 4 Cdo album. Erika also sent a picture of an identical church in Keswick. I have checked with the Minister and others in the area and we can now state that the picture was taken o/s Lake Road Chapel in Keswick, Cumbria. I have updated the picture accordingly. I have also been able to remove a few scratches and spots that had been on the original. Thanks to all concerned.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/Jack+Wells-No+4+Commando.jpg.html

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 09/02/2010 13:10:06

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger