commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
History of the Commando Association 1943 -1993  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have uploaded my father's copy of a document written by Henry Brown MBE who was General Secretary and Treasurer of the Commando Association from 1946 - 1986. It is a 50 year history of the Commando Association. It can be found on this link in the album for the Association :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Anthony Stilwell
Forum Member

Good Morning Pete ,
May i enquire how i can get my hands on a copy of this 17 page Book , and what would be the cost , other than downloading it , thanks and Regards.
Anthony Stilwell
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Anthony

I don't believe it was ever published. Certainly there is nothing to indicate so. The copy my father had is put together with staples and looks as if it was home produced so to speak. I may be wrong here but I think it was sent out to all Branch secretaries of the Commando Association in December 1993. Perhaps others on here might have copies and know more.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Anthony Stilwell
Forum Member

Pete ,
Any chance of having a photocopy job done on your Document ? as downloading from here and printing it i get all the margins of the "site" ,i am not able to isolate the document...or, could you scan it and Email to me at - ([email protected]) - , this would probably be the best solution , a bit tedious for you !! , but it would be very much appreciated by me , hope i am not giving you too much hassle !!
Kind Regards

Anthony
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have recently acquired an original copy of this document, although it is identical in content, the layout is slightly different, for example the last paragraph of your page one actually appears as the first para of my page two, also there is no coloured front cover sheet with my copy.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Anthony I have pm'd you with regard to this.

Andy....Thanks for the info. When you say an original copy...are you saying that it was published, ie is there a name of publishers or anything similar.

Pete

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

The copy that I have has not actually been "published" or professionally printed, it appears to be the same as yours ie a document that has been sent by Henry Brown to various members of the Com Ass.
As I said previously it is identical in content, however the layout is slightly different, if you like I could email you my copy so that you can compare them.

Cheers Andy

Ps I have not forgotten about the other matter concerning Sgt Lander, will give Idris a call this weekend.

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Lander !!!

I have a great interest in the Lander family - if he originates in the Staffs or Warwickshire area I would be interested in his details.

Cheers

Pete

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

This message is in reply to both Petes and refers to Sgt Lander, although I have not yet contacted Idris concerning this, I now do not need to as it suddenly occurred to me that the required info ie whether Sgt Lander was KIA in Burma, is actually contained in the No1 Commando Winchester reunion programme that I uploaded on to this site last year (See Link). This contains a Roll of Honour for all the theatres of Operations in which No1 saw action, in the list covering the Burma campaign is the name of a Sgt Raymond Frdederick Lander. Although it does not state his parent regiment, it does seem highly likely that the Landers mentioned in the CWGC list and Winchester Roll of Honour are one and the same.
Of course if required I will double check with Idris to see if he can remember if his Sgt Lander was originally from the Suffolk Regt as is stated in the official CWGC list.
With ref to Pete's (Keane) interest in the Lander name, I don't know if this particular person is the one that you are interested in, however if it is of any help, there are a number of photos of Sgt Lander in the No 1 Gallery. One of them is a quite good large scale close up (side view) of his face, he also appears in the No1 panorama.

Cheers Andy

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/nominal+rolls/No+1+Cdo/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 19/02/2010 01:58:17

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Westminster Abbey Commando Role of Honour wrote:
Sgt R F Lander; No1 Cdo, Suffolk inc. Cambridge Regt; KIA 31-Jan-45, Burma

nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/02/2010 03:14:20

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Thanks for that confirimation, just in case you are wondering, I posted this message concerning Sgt Lander in response to a PM from Pete R who stated that the CWGC entry for Sgt Lander only mentioned his parent Regt (Suffolk), when he was killed and where he was buried, however there was no mention of him being a member of the Commandos. His query was based on the fact that in one of the group photos belonging Idris Jones, Idris had stated that a Sgt Lander had been Killed in Burma, so Pete was wondering if the Lander mentioned in the CWGC's list and the Lander identified by Idris were one and the same and if so would it be possible to have the CWGC entry amended to show this? what do you think, is this something that could be carried out?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi all

I have updated Sgt Lander's picture information to show the details as below. The CWGC entry does not show Commando although, in light of the above other entries, I have now included it alongside his photo.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Jones+21.jpg.html

Regards

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger