commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lance Cpl Alexander Bruce  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
windchest
Forum Member

Hello, I am looking for anyone who new my Father, Alexander Bruce , No 2 commando, sorry I do not know the unit.
He is now 92 years old and often tells me of his time with the commandos,
Any information would be gratefully received.

Thank you
Christopher Bruce (Manchester)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:11:00

Chris Bruce
[WWW]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Christopher, why not join the CVA and add an article to our newsletter to see if anyone remembers your Father. We have regular events where, if he is able to attend, he could meet other wartime Commando veterans.

Was your Father formerly of Cheadle, Cheshire?

Kind regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
windchest
Forum Member

Geoff,
Many thanks for your reply, Yes, he was formerly of Cheadle , cheshire.
Unfortunately he is getting Frail and him mind is Just OK, so he would not be able to attend meetings.
The reason I posted the message was to find out if he Stories are true, I have no reason to disbelieve him, but as I said he does find it difficult to remember recent things, although he remembers , in much detail his days in No 2 Commando.

I would like to access him military records to confirm what he tells me.

Again, many thanks for the response.

best regards
Chris bruce.

Chris Bruce
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chris,

I would certainly agree that you should apply for your father's service records but I think you'll find that they will just give you his regiment, dates of courses, promotions, injuries, postings and areas of Operation etc.

To find out a little more detail about No2 Commando have a look at this history written by one of their number (and a great friend of the CVA) - the late Lt Bob Bishop MC:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=

There can be no doubt that The Commandos were all remarkable, brave and capable yet modest men and there is no reason to doubt anything your dad tells you about his experiences however fantastic it may seem.

I'm sure that, having listened to your father's memories and read Bob Bishop's history, that you will become intrigued and want to find out more about the Commandos. There are a good number of books on the market, some of which you'll find listed in the Commando Library:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/824.page

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

I have been provided with some information that might assist you concerning your father. The information is as follows :
Alexander Bruce
service number :144937
formerly of the RASC.
and No.2 Commando
address 57 (street name deleted for privacy), Cheadle
demobbed 1945

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/03/2010 15:06:00

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger