commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Thomas Frank Durrant VC  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All,
I need all info on Thomas Durrant VC, however big or small, such as where born what school and all the usual info. I am hoping to get to the Royal Engineers museum when the weather breaks to find as much as I can from there, but any info from any where will be greatly appreciated.
(Its all for a very good friend who has asked me/us to help) so do your best.
Regards Ron
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Ron

Please see my PM regarding this topic.

Regards

JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ron

During my recent visit with Idris Jones (of No1 Commando), Idris stated that he knew T. Durrant very well, I am hoping to see Idris again in the Spring, so I will ask him if he can provide me with any more specific info, stories etc.

Will keep you informed, cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/01/2010 00:43:00

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
petitjean56
Forum Member

Hello Ron

Perhaps some informations interesting for you.

The family of Sgt Tom DURRANT informed officialy by letter from the WAR OFFICE and ROYAL ENGINEERS record office the 10th december 1942, notifying the death of :
(N°) 1874041 Rank: Sergeant
(Name) DURRANT, Thomas Frank
which occured : on or shortly after 28th March 1942
the report is to the effect that he : Died of wounds.

other information :
The "Mum" of Sgt Tom DURRANT received a official letter from WAR OFFICE LONDON :
Her attendance is required at Buckingham Palace, at 10.15 o'clock a.m on Tuesday 29th october 1946, and may receive from the King, the posthumous award of the Victoria Cross awarded by Tom

Best regards

Bernard
locknload
Forum Member

He is infact my great, great uncle I'm not lying!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi all

I have sent a couple of pm's to the above contributor but to date have had no reply sadly. Perhaps he might reply after seeing this post. After a request from Eric Buckmaster I have searched and found the following 2 records in the National Archives relating to the citation for an award of a bravery medal. Now if you know the details of how Tom Durrant was awarded his posthumous Victoria Cross off the coast of St Nazaire you may see some degree of similarity. The following two recommendations relate to the actions of his brother Sgt. Jack Durrant and another, Sgt Clarke, whilst on board the Lancastria as it sank after bombing off the coast of St Nazaire on the 17th June 1940 for which they were awarded the Military Medal. Jack survived. One figure I have seen shows 3,300 others did not.

Sgt J. Durrant, service number S/6340450 of the RASC. He is shown along with another, Sgt. J. Clarke, as being recommended for the MM.

"For conspicuous gallantry as Nos.1 of Bren guns on upper deck, fired their respective guns until the ship sank, and though other members were killed and wounded at the guns, one gun being disabled, obtained another from a unit which could not use it, and continued the action. Their cheerful demeanour inspired everyone."

" These two NCO's assumed charge of the units Bren guns and kept up a heavy and accurate fire at hostile aircraft from the upper deck, in spite of casualties to the other gun members. They showed complete disregard of danger, and by their steady courage undoubtedly minimised casualties from hostile machine gun fire. They fired their guns until the ship sunk under them. Sgt. Durrant's gun was hit and blown overboard; he obtained another and resumed the action"

Was Jack the inspiration for his brother Tom's later gallantry at St Nazaire? Whatever the case their bravery is clear to all.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/07/2010 11:32:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
emcharly
Forum Member

John (known as Jack) Durrant was my grandad and Tom was his brother. I am very proud of them both, my children have been told of their bravery and are are also very proud of them As a relative, I have just been invited to 'Valour' the Victoria Cross Exhibition Launch. The exhibition contains images from all of the campaigns in which the VCs were won, ranging from the Crimean War to the Second World War VCs held by the Museum and so is of particular significance to the exhibition. The exhibition is permanent and is open to the public any time after the 11th November.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA

I am pleased you found our site. We were recently able to provide the IWM with an excellent picture of another Victoria Cross recipient, Lt. Col. Newman VC, for this forthcoming exhibition. As you will have read from my post about your Grandfather John 'Jack' Durrant MM I was astounded to read some of the similarities involved between his own act of courage and that of his brother Tom Durrant VC who was sadly killed during the St Nazaire Raid. I would like to invite you, if you have not already done so, to join us in the Commando Veterans Association as an Associate Member. How to do so can be found on our home page on the index under 'Join the CVA'. We only have 2 pictures of Tom in our gallery so if you have anymore and would like them included please contact me and I will assist you in this. You can also include as much or as little information as you wish about Tom. I could also include a photo and details of your grandfather and place it alongside his brother Tom. Please feel free to contact me by email ( email address is on my profile), or on the forum, if I can be of any assistance to you.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 11/10/2010 14:39:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
emcharly
Forum Member

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your reply. I am certain I will be able to get some more photos and information for you, this may take a little bit of time, as most of these would be with my mother. It is a shame that my father passed away, as he was very knowledgeable about both their stories, infact my father was in the Royal Engineers during his National Service. I will also pass the details of this forum to my brother.
Kind Regards
Claire
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Claire,Tom Durrant VC is a commando legend and his actions fill us with awe

SE Donnison
[MSN]
emcharly
Forum Member

Thank you Stephen. I have emailed Pete. I have only found a few photos but will get them sent to him hopefully in the next month or so. I also have some newspaper cuttings that I will be sending (copies of) (mainly conncected to my grandfather and the Llancastria though).
I was talking to my mother today (although I knew that Tom was commended by a German Officer for his bravery) but she told me of how the Germans were so impressed with this bravery that they gave him a full military funeral. I continue to be astonished at the bravery of these young men.
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello emcharly and all

In 2005 I was fortunate enough to have an article of mine on Tom Durrant VC published in 'The Victoria Cross Society Journal' 6th edition March 2005

To compose this article I was also very fortunate to correspond with Toms sister Ivy and his niece Patricia who kindly sent their archive to me for reference.

If you would like a copy of the aricle in draft form with photos and other artifacts included I would be pleased to oblige.

Pete perhaps we could upload it to the site?

Regards

John M

PS I have also had articles on George Knowland VC and Henry Eric Harden VC published in the same magazine.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 09/11/2010 21:39:28

Primus Inter Pares

emcharly
Forum Member

Thanks John, I'd be very interested in reading your article.
Kind Regards
Claire
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Claire

I will be delighted to upload this article for you to read.........I am away over the next week but will attend to it on my return.

It would be no problem to send a hard copy to you as well.

If you would like a hard copy just send me your email by Private Message through this forum and I will see to that also.

Best regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

I'll see you at FW regarding the best way to get the info on site

Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger