commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte Dudley Edward Cooper, MM; No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

From Heather Jane Cooper

Sirs,

This morning I have been reading the website and feel drawn to write to you. May I say it was very moving to read accounts of the various Commando actions throughout WWII. My father was on No.2 Commando. His name was (Pte.) Dudley Edward Cooper. I would love to hear from anyone in the association who knew my father in those days. I know he was involved in operations in both Italy and Yugoslavia. At some point he received a field commission to Corporal and was also awarded a MM for, I believe, capturing a machine gun. I hope this might add to your histories. My father was always kean to add to and correct information being compiled by various authors and made contributions to the research for a number of volumes.

Best wishes

Heather Jane Cooper
Proud daughter to D E Cooper MM of No.2 Commando
[email protected]

CVA: From Commando Gallantry Awards of WW2 by George A Brown

FUSILIER DUDLEY EDWARD COOPER
14241655, L.F., No.2 Commando
MILITARY MEDAL (IMMEDIATE)

Fus Cooper was No.1 of a PlAT in a troop ordered to cross 1,500 yds of open ground to attack enemy positions defending a bridge during Operation 'Roast' on 2nd April 1945.

When 300 yds from the objective, the troop came under withering spandau fire. Cooper, with great coolness, gave accurate support to his troop which succeeded in captunng the bridge. Before he could rejoin the troop, a strong counter-attack was launched during which his No.2 was killed. Cooper, in the face of intense fire, moved his PlAT to a fire position on the flank and being without a No.2 had to make two separate Journeys across open ground to bring up bombs.

There, although under automatic fire, he engaged the advancing enemy, firing at low angle and succeeded in halting them. When his bombs were exhausted he continued to engage the enemy with his Colt automatic.

When the counter-attack was finally beaten off he returned with his weapon under cover of smoke from a burning haystack to rejoin his Troop HQ.

Throughout the operation he showed great initiative and
personal courage. [L.G.5.7.45J

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:16:19

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

John M. has forwarded to me Heather's contact details and I have emailed her today. I will update this message with any further information.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/02/2012 19:29:48

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger