commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter John GIBSON - 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hello All,

I am researching my late father's WW2 service history with No. 3 Commando.
I have a few items relating from his Commando days. He never spoke at great length about his time in the service, and I am about to apply for his service records, but below is a summary of what I believe to be true.

Peter John Gibson. Born 30 Aug 1923. Service Number: UNKNOWN.
Joined Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire regiment late 1940 (aged 17)
Volunteered for No. 3 Commando sometime in 1941.
First action was Dieppe Raid.
Saw service in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.
D-Day landing on Sword Beach. Fought through to Pegasus Bridge.
Post D-Day, saw action in France, Holland, Belgium and Germany.
Demobbed in August 1946.

He was a proud member of the Commando Association, and I know he attended some events and met up with some old mates when I was a youngster - I will see if I can find any photos of these and post any interesting ones. There were also a couple of veterans who attended his funeral in 1994 representing the Commandos. Unfortunately, my preoccupation with the events of the day meant that I didn't get to speak to these kind chaps as much as I would have liked.

I would be extremely grateful and interested to hear of any information anyone may have on my father. I am especially keen to identify which 3 Cdo Troop he was in, and any photos or recollections from anyone who knew him would be fantastic.

Congratulations on the site - it is full of useful and interesting information, and the photos are excellent. I hope I can find some relevant items to share in the near future.

Many thanks

Rob Gibson
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ron,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.
I'm afraid you're in the same boat as the majority of us on the forum - our fathers, grandfathers, uncles etc were proud, brave and very modest - they had a job to do and they got on with it - no fuss and no bragging.

Afterwards, for their own reasons, they didn't/don't talk a lot a about their experiences.
That is, of course, a great shame as, 60+ years later, we still know next to nothing about their personal experiences; however, at the same time that also makes them a very special breed of men - no exploiting their bravery, no 'cashing in' by publishing books [like some of the modern Special Forces have done in recent times].

Let us be truly proud of these guys and let them never be forgotten. Let us, by means of this forum, be the ones that tell their story.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Ron

I've got several photos about 3 cdo troops. So, i will see if your father is on. His name is not unknown to me.

stéphane
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome, Rob. Perhaps if you gave us your father's rank it might help jog some memories. Good luck with your search !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/08/2007 23:19:25

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Chaps,

Thank you for your fast and encouraging replies. It is possible that dad was a Corporal - I have very vague recollections of this, but can't confirm until I get his service records.

I will get a picture of dad from the war years scanned in and posted up as well to see if that jogs any memories too.

Many thanks,

Rob

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello RON

I have on one list about 3 cdo 2 troop L / cpl GIBSON. I have photo about 2 troop in May 44. Maybe it's your father.
He is on the list about 3 cdo in Dieppe
Gibson P. private 5958784

stéphane
Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hello Stéphane,
Thank you for the information - It sounds like it might be my father! Are you able to send the photos to me or upload them onto the site?

I will upload a picture of my dad tomorrow, and have also found a picture of dad with Bill Millin from 1985 which i will scan in and share.

Many thanks

Rob

Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ron,

Very interesting post from my perspective. My Dad joined the Befordshire & Hertfordshire regiment 24 September 1940 Service No 5958740 then joined Commando Signal Troop a year later. They probably knew of each other as my father also regulary attended the Commando reunion parties near Baker Street in the 70s. I often wonder what the motive for volunteering for the Commandos was? I recall my father saying he applied to the RAF to become a pilot but for whatever reason was not successful and at some point shortly after the Commando option come up.

Anyway, good luck in your search and hope you are successful.

Regards Vic
Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the reply. I wonder whether the relative closeness of our fathers service numbers means that they joined up around the same time - so may have known each other in the Beds & Herts even prior to joining the Commandos? It is certainly a possibility.

My dad always used to say that he thought he got into the Beds & Herts at a young age as the admissions officer liked his reply to the question 'Why do you want to join up, son?' which was 'To fight the Hun, Sir!'. As to why he then volunteered for the Commandos, he said that it was because it sounded like a more adventurous life. He wasn't disappointed!

Rob
Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Here is a picture of my father, Peter John GIBSON.
I don't know what date this was taken. The cap badge is, I think, the Beds & Herts badge.

Regards,

Rob
[Thumb - PeterGibson.jpg]
 Filename PeterGibson.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Peter John Gibson - 3 Cdo 2 Troop 1941-1946
 Filesize 15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  543 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

And here is a picture of Dad with Piper Bill Millin. Back of photo reads:
41st Anniversary of D-Day
'To the Commandos of the 1st Special Service Brigade - Liberators of Bavant and Robenomme 17 August 1944'
Peter Gibson with Piper Bill Millin at the end of the march/walk
Taken 8th June 1985.

Hope this is of some interest.

Regards,
Rob
[Thumb - PeterGibson_BillMillin_Bavent1985.jpg]
 Filename PeterGibson_BillMillin_Bavent1985.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Peter Gibson with Bill Millin. Bavant, 8th June 1985. 41st Anniversary of D-Day
 Filesize 874 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  475 time(s)

Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Rob Gibson wrote:Hi Vic,

Thanks for the reply. I wonder whether the relative closeness of our fathers service numbers means that they joined up around the same time - so may have known each other in the Beds & Herts even prior to joining the Commandos? It is certainly a possibility.

My dad always used to say that he thought he got into the Beds & Herts at a young age as the admissions officer liked his reply to the question 'Why do you want to join up, son?' which was 'To fight the Hun, Sir!'. As to why he then volunteered for the Commandos, he said that it was because it sounded like a more adventurous life. He wasn't disappointed!

Rob

Hi Rob

Great quote from your Father, can't argue with a response like that. I'm sure they must have known of each other from the Beds & Herts. According to my Fathers service records he was posted to 70th Battalion Befordshire & Herts. I believe the service numbers were relative to the unit at enlistment. I guess each unit were allocated a batch numbers rather than a centralised pool.

Did you ever attend the London Commando reunion parties as a child? I have some very clear memories of them.

I'm sure you're right about the cap badge, I've scanned the one I have below.

Regards Vic

[Thumb - capbadge.jpg]
 Filename capbadge.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Bedforshire & Hertfordshire cap badge
 Filesize 215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  483 time(s)

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Ron

Find enclose photo about 3 cdo E troop.
I will try to have more information about your father. This week-end I will attend the ceremonies in Dieppe. So, hope to met veterans who could remember him.
In blue, this is John CARNEY
I have all the names, i will send it to you soon
bye
stéphane
[Thumb - 3 Cdo 2 Troop MAI 1944.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo 2 Troop MAI 1944.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 3 CDO 2 Troop may 1944
 Filesize 707 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  597 time(s)

Rob Gibson
Forum Member

Hi Stéphane,
Thanks for the photo. Have had a look and can't instantly recognise my father in his youth. Please mention my father to any 3 Cdo veterans you may meet this weekend - any information you can find out is gratefully received - you have been very helpful.

Have a good time in Dieppe

Regards,

Rob
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Rob

I will meet John CARNEY this week-end, and I will ask him if he recall your father.
JOHN WHITE & FRED WALKER both 4 troop, were too in the Bedf & Herts. regt.
Do you know them ?

ps) the photos enclosed is to show you about our shop. I'm in touch with vets. and families since I was 13, now 41.

stéphane
[Thumb - magasin wales visit.jpg]
 Filename magasin wales visit.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 348 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  499 time(s)

[Thumb - magasin 2.jpg]
 Filename magasin 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 492 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  534 time(s)

[Thumb - magasin 1.jpg]
 Filename magasin 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 669 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  540 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger