commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
1st-8th November 1944 - Operation Infatuate - with ROH  XML
Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

66 years ago this coming Monday 1st November 2010.

Many, but not all, of the fallen from this action are buried at Bergen-Op-Zoom War Cemetery. Click on the cemetery name to view images from there.

We will remember them

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/10/2015 10:00:41

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

What a coincidence, I have just found another photo from my father's collection. On the reverse it states: No. 4 Commando landing area at Flushing 1944. It shows the Oranje Mill in the background which was the aiming point for the assault craft.
[Thumb - Circulation069.jpg]
 Filename Circulation069.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 456 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  818 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 30/10/2010 20:36:15

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
John Martin
Forum Member

Pte Owen Hooper was killed crouching next to my uncle, Sgt Donald Martin. There was hard house to house fighting in Flushing. My uncle sought to gain entry into a house under enemy fire. Pte Hooper, who was part of a rifle support group, volunteered to go with him. Because my uncle was armed with a Thompson sub-machine gun, Pt Hooper hit the door with the butt of his rifle. The door was booby trapped, and the resulting explosion killed Pte Hooper instantly. My uncle was temporarily blinded by the dust and debris. My uncle always felt that Pte Hooper should not have been there. On the fortieth anniversary of that assault, we placed a wreath on Pte Hooper's grave in Bergen-op-Zoom cemetry. It was the first time my uncle had visited his grave. Needless to say, it was a terribly emotional moment for him given that he had survived. We were staying with a Dutch family in Halsteren, where my uncle had later been billeted. Over dinner, he recounted what had happened. Our host excused himself to make a phone call. Early next morning, there was an immaculate wreath delivered to the house for us to take to the grave. The Dutch do not forget.
[Thumb - Hooper.jpg]
 Filename Hooper.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 2nd Nov. 1984. Bergen-op-Zoom War Cemetery. Sgt Donald Martin at the grave of Pte Owen Hooper. Photo courtesy of John Martin
 Filesize 621 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  626 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/11/2010 10:08:29

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

Thanks for your last post. It reminds us of why we should remember.

I am hoping to get some more information soon on another of those killed during this action: Lieutenant Nicholas Barrass.
I know he went to Gateshead Grammar School and have been told he played for Gateshead FC before the war. I have a photo of the headstone at his grave and am awaiting permission from the photo owner to display it on our site.

If others have information or photos of any of those individuals killed in action during this operation please post it here

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

There is a very graphic account of the death of Pte Henry Donkin of 4 Cdo on page 196 of "Swiftly They Struck" by Murdoch McDougall, one of the troop commanders. Pte Donkin, at forty-one, was apparently the oldest man in 4 Cdo and the father of nine children.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

In the same book Swiftly they Struck by Murdoch McDougall who served as a section officer with No.4 Cdo from 1942 -46 he describes how Lt. Barrass, whilst engaged in a house clearance, was killed by a sniper who fired from an adjacent building.

I have attached the photo you sent me to your original description about how Pte Hooper met his death. I will also include it in the gallery.

I can also now post the photo of the headstone at the grave of Lieut. Nick Barrass.

Pete
[Thumb - Nicholas Barrass.jpg]
 Filename Nicholas Barrass.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo courtesy of Rob McAllister
 Filesize 150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  618 time(s)

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

In his book The Fighting Fourth, on page 178, James Dunning is also referring to the book of Murdoch McDougall and he also describes how Lt Nick Barras was killed, as well as Pte Donkin. Some time ago I visited the cemetry in Bergen op Zoom (some 14 kilometers from my front door) and found the graves of both these men. Having read how they both were killed, it was somehow special to be standing at their graves.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jack Bakker offered to take the photos of the 88 Commando grave headstones at Bergen-op-Zoom War Cemetery. With true military precision and efficency he has completed the task already! He is going to give me the disc at FW where it will be my pleasure to meet him in person for the first time. I hope Jack does not mind but I have included here some of his email to me about his visit to the cemetery.

When I took the photos today it was something else to read the words that are engraved at the bottom of the headstones. On the headstone of Lance Serjeant Walker the name of his baby Diana is mentioned. If she was a baby then, she must be 66 years of age now. I immediately wondered: is she still alive and where would she live? And has she ever been at the grave of her father? Could be something to find out!

The text that struck me most was the one on the headstone of Marine Turner, 22 years young when he was killed on the 4th of November 1944. It says: ?He sleeps in a grave we may never see, but some kind hand may lay a flower for me.? I wondered if his family has indeed never seen his grave and have perhaps never been able to lay a flower on it. I have promised myself to be that kind hand and so I will lay a flower on his grave tomorrow, exactly 66 years after he was killed.

It has been a privilege making the photos today. The effort was very small compared to what the men buried there have done for us.

Thank you Jack

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2010 21:03:39

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well done and thank you Jack.
I too look forward to meeting you at Fort William.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A reminder that it is the 67th anniversary of Operation Infatuate this week. I know Bill Harvey is over there remembering his Dad

http://www.commandoveterans.org/WilliamHarvey4Commando

and all those who were killed during this and other operations

http://www.commandoveterans.org/OperationInfatuate

We will remember them

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 31/10/2020 16:33:25

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I will meet Bill tomorrow together with his Dutch friends he is staying with at the moment. Bill and his friends will pay a visit to our Commando museum where I will show them around. After that they will go to the War Cementry Bergen op Zoom to go to the grave of Bill's Father.
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack I have a relation buried in that cemetery. Frederick Donnison He was a Canadian pilot officer shot down in 1942 aged 24. if its possible could you take a few minutes to stand and remember him Thanks

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen,

Bill Harvey has visited our museum and after that went to the cementry at Bergen op Zoom. I did not encompany him as I have a very busy afternoon ahead of me. So I was not able to visit the grave of your relative. I leave for Edinburgh tomorow morning and will be back next Monday. After that I will be able to visit the grave of your relative and make a photo of the headstone if that is alright with you and send it to you.
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

thanks mate .your a star

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

This is the old peoples' home in Wissenkerke where my father was billeted during his time there in 1944. Photo was taken in the 1960's.
[Thumb - vredestein0002.jpg]
 Filename vredestein0002.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  613 time(s)

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.

Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger