commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John (Jack) Purcell & Edward Purcell, 42 RM Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Stephen Purcell-Evans
Forum Member

Dear Sir, my name is Stephen Purcell-Evans. My Grandfather was John 'Jack' Purcell, born 07/07/1922. He joined the forces in 1939 with his twin brother Edward Purcell. They both eventually served in 42 RM Cdo. My grandfather's details on my mother's birth certificate of 1947 read: Plymouth X 3280, Corp. John Purcell.
Do you have any information on him and his brother, or are there any veterans who remember them and would like to share their recollections? I'd love to hear. Email: [email protected]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/11/2010 23:29:13

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi

Just a quick note to say we have a Purcell shown on a document in our gallery Nominal Rolls album. He is shown as in 42RM Commando HQ troop on this link. :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/nominal+rolls/T2A-Names+taken+from+the+Troop+Notes+chapter+of+The+Third+Jungle+Book+Issue+No_8+sep+1945-42+RM+Cmd_.jpg.html

Please feel free to post any photos of your grandfather or his brother here on this forum message

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/11/2010 16:37:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen

A very warm welcome to the CVA, the nominal roll that Pete refers to was taken from a publication that was produced by men of the the 3rd Commando Brigade during their time in Burma. The publication was called The Third Jungle Book, one of the sections of the book (magazine would probably be a better discription) was called Troop Notes and dealt with the various Troops from each Commando unit that made up the 3rd Commando Brigade ie No's 1 and 5 Army Commando and No's 42 and 44 RM Cmdo. I actually copied the nominal roll that contains the name Purcell from an original Jungle Book that I was loaned by the daughter of a member of No1 Cmdo and uploaded it on to the CVA gallery. While I had this magazine I also made a high quality copy of it, if you are interested I could print one of these off and post this out to you. The copy would be stapled and trimmed to be as much like the original as possible.
Are you also aware that you can apply for a copy of your Grandfather's service records, it only costs £30 and is quite a straight forward process. I and quite a few others on this site have done this already, in my case I received some very interesting copies of my father's original Army / Commando documentation. I can't quite remember where the info is regarding the contact details for the relevant dept that deals with RM applications is situated in the Forum, but some one else here will.

Let me know if you would like a copt of the afore mentioned Jungle Book and I will take care of the rest.

Good luck, Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger