commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Free French Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

I am looking for details of No.10 Commando Inter-Allied, and particularly for details about Andre Dignac (who was a Cpl in Troop 1) in the year before his death on 27th December 1943 on Sark on Operation Hardtrack 7. I'm wondering if anyone knows where his unit was stationed and perhaps even billeted during 1942 and 1943?

Thanks

Nick Gibbs
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

I am not sure whether you did a search on our site, but a relative of Andre Dignac gave some information about him and it is on this forum message.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1090.page

Have you been in touch with her. Her names is Claudine Cormerais

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/01/2010 22:01:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Thanks. I know about Claudine. I am helping a cousin of hers who would like to find out more about Andre during his time in Britain. I was wondering if anyone knows of the movements of No.1 Troop 10 (IA) during 1942 and 1943, after they arrived in Britain? Where they were stationed and billeted etc....?

Thanks

Nick
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

I don't know if are aware of the book by Nick van der Bijl called "No. 10 (Inter Allied) Commando 1942 - 45, but just in case you are not here is a scanned image of the front cover plus page 6, which mentions where No. 1 (French) Troop were stationed in 1942 and page 10 were they were in May 1943. These pages are from the chapter dealing with No. 10's formation, Troop by Troop, each Troop as you are probably already aware being made up from a different European country.
If you would like any other pages from this book scanning, let me know.
Hope this is of some assistance, cheers Andy
[Thumb - K2.jpg]
 Filename K2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 589 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  523 time(s)

[Thumb - K1.jpg]
 Filename K1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 419 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  527 time(s)

[Thumb - K3.jpg]
 Filename K3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 450 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  502 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2010 00:10:30

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Thanks, Andy. I've ordered the book.

Nick
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

If you have not already done so, check out Ian Dear's book '10 Commando 1942 - 1945' (ISBN 0-85052-121-1), the Hardtack series of raids are covered in Chapter 5. Unfortunately, Andre Dignac is mentioned only once, when he was killed by a mine (after previously being wounded) during Hardtack 7.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2010 09:05:52

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Thanks, Geoff. I've ordered the book. If I can find out where they were stationed in 1942 and 1943 is there any hope of finding out where the French (No.1 Troop) were billeted?

Nick
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

Once No10 Commando was formed, the H.Q. was based n Harlech, North Wales and was commanded by LtCol D Lister MC . The French were greatest in numbers and formed two troops but were based in Criccieth ,the Dutch troop was at Portmadoc ,the two Belgian troops were at Abersoch, Norwegians were in Nevin, Polish troop were at Fairbourne and X troop were stationed at Aberdovey.
In May 1943 the whole Commando consolidated at Eastbourne under a new C.O. Capt. B. Hilton-Jones.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Thanks. Would the French have been in barracks or billeted in homes in Criccieth and Eastbourne?

Nick
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Like all the other Commandos, they would have been in billets (not barracks).
Sorry, I know that this will not make your research any easier!

My suggestion would be to publish a letter in the local papers to see if any one can remember having the French Commandos in their houses - I have always had fantastic response from using the local press - remember you're seeking info from a generation of people who don't necessarily use computers.

regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2010 11:03:46

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Thanks. How would one find out the dates of when Troop 1 would have been in Criccieth and Eastbourne? Andre Dignac was killed on an operation on Sark at the end of December 1943, probably leaving from Dartmouth. Do you know if they were in Dartmouth or perhaps Plymouth for long?
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick,
a book that I would recommend to you is Nick Van Der Bijl's: Commandos in Exile first published by Pen & Sword Military in 2008, ISBN 978-1-84415-790-7.

No10 (IA) Cdo moved to Eastbourne in April 1943 where, The Commando HQ moved into the requisitioned 'Engedi' in Upper Avenue while the Troop HQs took over Roborough School. The men, as usual, were billeted (mostly around the Woodgate and Ringwood Roads).
Soon after No10(IA) Commando had moved to Eastbourne, 8(French) Troop was formed.
In mid 1943, when the Commando was tasked with Operation Hardtack, Keiffer selected twenty men from 1 and 8 (French) Troops for an intensive program of vertical cliff climbing at Dover during the last two weeks of September, but they returned to Eastbourne when both French Troops were required at full strength for the invasion of Corsica (Op Crossbow) - an event which never took place!
On 9th December 43, the French moved into billets in the Seaford, Newhaven and Peacehaven area where they trained in small boat handling, identification of German equipment & raiding techniques.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Great. Thanks. Does it say where they were before Eastbourne? Do you know anything about them being stationed in Dartmouth in December 1943?

Cheers

Nick
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick Gibbs wrote:Great. Thanks. Does it say where they were before Eastbourne? Do you know anything about them being stationed in Dartmouth in December 1943?

Cheers

Nick

Nick,
I haven't found anything about them being billeted in/near Dartmouth but as they'd only just moved to new billets on 9th December, I wouldn't think they'd move again within a fortnight.
I would suggest that they may have been mustered in Dartmouth for a day or so prior to the Raid - probably being housed in a school or similar large building just for the short stay?
I will continue with my research and post any thing I find.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Nick Gibbs
Forum Member

Thanks

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger