commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RSM John L (Jack) QUARRIE BEM - No 9 Commando  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Jack Quarrie on New Years Day. Jack passed peacefully, only two weeks after losing his dear wife Irene. Jack was an occasional instructor at Achnacarry and became the Regimental Sergeant Major of No 9 Commando (said to be the youngest RSM in the Army at the time). He was an avid supporter of the Commando Association, and was the Honourary Secretary of the No 9 Commando Old Comrades group 'The Black Hackle Society'. Many will remember him as the very sharp and proud Parade Marshall for the Commando Service at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge, a task that he carried out with true Commando panache for over 20 years. He gave much to the Commando fraternity over the years and will be remembered as a true Commando who lived the Commando Prayer......to give, but not to count the cost.

The funeral of both Jack and Irene is expected to take place on Wednesday 6th January at Copmanthorpe, York. More details to follow as soon as I get them from his son Ian.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:20:07

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My condolences to Ian and his family. A double blow like that is hard to imagine. RSM Quarrie did so much to make the Remembrance Day services in Fort William and Spean Bridge memorable for all and has our thanks.

Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

RSM Quarrie was certainly a memorable figure at the Commando Memorial Remembrance parades.
May he and his wife, Irene, Rest In Peace together.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

May Jack and Irene Rest in Peace.

Our condolances to their family.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/01/2010 18:14:02

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I have now been informed that Jack and Iren's funeral will take place at 1200hrs on Wednesday 6 January at St Giles Church, Copmanthorpe, York. Family flowers only.

May they rest in peace.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My condolences to the family. A sad loss.

Harryj

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger