commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
W Lee  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Marc Bridger
Forum Member

I have recently come across a 1st pattern commando dagger. Scratched into the sheath is the name W LEE. Does anyone have any imformation on this name?.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Marc

A very warm welcome to the CVA, sorry I don't have any info regarding the name, however I would love to see what the knife and sheath look like, especially as this is a 1st pattern, any chance of taking a few pics of it and uploading them so that we can have a look? You never know this might help to jog some ones memory.
If you need any assistance in uploading these or any other images then either myself or others on this site would be only too glad to do it for you.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Marc Bridger
Forum Member

Here are a few photos of the 1st pattern. The W LEE on the sheath are very faint on the photo.
[Thumb - 1stPattern%20010[1].jpg]
 Filename 1stPattern%20010[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 282 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  415 time(s)

[Thumb - 1stPattern%20005[1].jpg]
 Filename 1stPattern%20005[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 355 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  402 time(s)

[Thumb - 1stPattern%20008[1].jpg]
 Filename 1stPattern%20008[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 276 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  423 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Marc

Thanks very much for the photos, the knife looks absolutely superb, hopefully some one on this site might be able to provide you with some info regarding the name. I hope that he dosen't mind me saying but John Mewett, who is a very active member of this site has also got one of these 1st pattern knives, which I think was actually issued to his father when he was in 12 Commando (later transferred to 1 Cdo). In fact I believe the 1st pattern that is actually on the right of this screen is a photo of this very knife.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Marc

Take good care of you 1st pattern F/S and sheath as these fetch well over £1,200

Lucky you.

All the best and welcome
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Marc Bridger
Forum Member

Thankyou to Andy and Kevin for your comments. Please look up the name Ronald Young or Ken Young as he is known for the story about us.Its all on the cva website. Pete Rogers has put all our imformation on there. Ken has sparked my interest in the Commandos.
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hello Mark
Welcome to the site, That is a superb 1st Issue you have there, please be very careful and keep it safe it is indeed very, very valuble. Its really good to see the pics these knives are very rare although they pop up occasionally, thanks for the pics
Regards Ron
petitjean56
Forum Member

Hello Mark

I wish you a good and happy new year.

W. LEE : Perhaps, Lt William LEE (S.O.E) participated to CHARIOT, St Nazaire raid : ML447.

Regards

Bernard
Marc Bridger
Forum Member

Thank you Bernard. Your imformation is much appreciated. I have been informed that 2nd LT W.G.Lee was at the St Nazaire raid and was part of a French liason working with a Captain D.R.De Jonghe. Now thanks to you I now know what ML he was on. Do you know what become of ML447?.I have a book called The Raiders, the army commandos 1940-46 and there is no mention of ML447 but there is a map showing it making it to the OLd Mole.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

ML447 was due to be under the command of Lieutenant Commander F.N. Wood. However due to sickness and with no time to replace him, Lt Platt from ML443 took over ML447 and the spare CO, Lt Horlock of the RNVR took over ML443 (the launch my father was on). As one of the lead ML's 447 became a prime target and was hit by the German gunners repeatedly. Lt Chambers and many of the Commandos were killed or wounded. Still trying to land despite the heavy casualties the ML was hit again knocking out both engines setting the engine compartment ablaze, the ML began to drift aimlessly. Eventually casualties were transferred to ML160 despite being under heavy fire, only the dead remained. Ablaze and drifting ML447 later exploded and sank.
Second Lieutenant W.G.Lee is mentioned in the book as arriving with Captain De Jonghe prior to setting off for the raid however there is nothing to state that they were on ML447 or not, just that they were there as French Liaison Officers for Lt. Col. Newman
The above details are taken from James Dorrian's book Storming St Nazaire. They are not verbatim as such, more a compilation.

On board ML447 was Captain David Birney's 14 man assault group from No.2 Commando 2 Troop. Their role to capture and clear the Mole. Also on board was Lt. Chambers commanding the forward guns of the ML and Sub Lt McNaughten - Baker the aft guns. Motor mechanic Thomas Parker, Able Seamen Drapper, Barrett, Gordon,Lambert, L/Seamen Overton,Terry, Parsons, Ord Seamen Duncan , Cotter, stokers Broome and Liddicoat.
With Captain Birney were Lt Bill Clibborn, TSM Ted Hewitt, Sgt Leonard Eldridge , L/Sgt Garland, L/Cpl's Heather, O'Brien , Garratt, Paterson , Taylor, Pte. Rowe, Gdsmn. Bob Grose , Lewis , and Walton of 2 troop.

From 2 troop No.2 Cdo the following on ML 447 died : David Birney, William Heather, Leonard Eldridge, Arthur Garratt, Kenneth Paterson , William Grose, John Lewis, George Walton

Of the RN and RNVR crew who died the only names I know are Herbert Chambers, Harold Drapper, Thomas Parker, Joseph Parsons, David Broome

This message was edited 18 times. Last update was at 08/01/2010 10:18:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I also have listed a Gnr W Lee of No 1 Commando from Nottingham. Beautiful knife by the way.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/01/2010 11:17:13

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
petitjean56
Forum Member

Hello Mark

The French liaison Officers were the Capt Antony TERRY (speaking french), Capt Peter De Jonghe (Belgian speaking french) and Lt William LEE (french, real name is Raymond COURAUD)

Concerning ML447 / this motor launch must disembark the troops on the Old Mole, the boat receive many shells from guns of estuary and the German defenders of old mole throws the grenades on the deck, the ML is in fire, many sailors and commandos are saved by ML160. The ML447 drift in fire in the estuary and grounded on the beach "grand traict" in St Nazaire.
LEE is seriously wounded to the legs and stay 2 mounths to hospital in Truro before returning in mission with the S.A.S in France and in Italy.

Best regards

Bernard
Marc Bridger
Forum Member

Thankyou for the imformation guys. It would be quite something if we could find the original owner of this 1st pattern. The W Lee Geoff Murray has mentioned from Nottingham may be a good lead also.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/01/2010 17:34:44

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger