commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
L/Bdr Henry Lavery, No2 Cdo & No6 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
phil
Forum Member

Hello,
I am a French collector with interest in Commandos and SAS .Sorry for my poor english first.
I search informations about Henry Lavery (1914-1944) who lived in Winchburgh (west lothian) and who were in n°2 commando.I have found some photos and an arm badge(commando2) from him.He was made up to a sergeant eventually, but kept losing them(stripes) for insubordination.A Family member had said me he was killed in France ??? in 1944.
If somebody can help me.
Best wishes.
Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/02/2009 21:42:20

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Phil:

As you may know, I was with No. 2 Cdo. I have checked the muster roll for No. 2 and found no reference to Henry Lavery. However, a review of the War Graves site came up with the following so it would appear he was with No. 6 Cdo:

Casualty Details
Name: LAVERY, HENRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
Secondary Regiment: Commando
Secondary Unit Text: and No. 6
Date of Death: 18/08/1944
Service No: 808452
Additional information: Son of Henry and Bridget Lavery; husband of Eileen Gertrude Lavery, of Feltham, Middlesex.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VA. P. 1.
Cemetery: RANVILLE WAR CEMETERY

As well, if you check www.6commando.com, you will find the following reference to him:

VI COMMANDO

L/Bdr. Henry Lavery
(S/N 808452)
L/Bmbr. Henry Lavery, formerly of the Royal Artillery, served in No.4 Troop of No.6 Commando.

L/Bmdr Henry Lavery was Killed In Action (KIA) on 18th August 1944, aged 31 years, during the attack by No.4 Troop across the bridge over the River Bivette at Bavent.

Henry was the son of Henry and Bridget Lavery; and the husband of Eileen Gertrude Lavery, of Feltham, Middlesex. He is laid to rest in Ranville War Cemetery ( Calvados , Normandy , France ), Grave VA.P.1.
Back

We hope this will be of some help to you. Good luck with your search!

phil
Forum Member

Hello Bob,
I thank you very much for your quick response and also for all you have done for OUR FREEDOM.WE WILL NOT FORGET BE SURE.
I understand now why the Family said he was killed in France but I think he has been also in N°2 Commando before to be in 6. I have the cloth badge(n°2 cpmmando) wore on the left arm.Perhaps he was transfered to the sixth after his insubordination.....
Can you have informations about that?
Best wishes
Phil

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger