commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Identification of a book.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have been asked by Gavin to upload a message requesting info regarding some photocopied pages from a book that he was given by the widow of a former member of 4 Commando, Gavin's original message was:

"Quite a while ago I was in contact with the widow of Patrick Cullen 'PUG' Blewitt 4 Commando - I was given three photocopy pages of an unknown book, I wondered if anyone knew what it is so I can get a copy. It is quite a boys own read, is anyone able to help?

Cheers Andy
 Filename 6C-Gavin.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  514 time(s)

Filename 6B-Gavin.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  467 time(s)

Filename 6A-Gavin.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  453 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/11/2009 21:03:07

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

If its not 'It had to be tough' by James Dunning then possibly another of his books

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Fourth-No-Commando-1940-45/product-reviews/0750930950/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The style of writing shows the author was there, which limits it a little!

Regards

Pete
Gavin
Forum Member

Can you or anyone check to see if the pages tie up. Thanks.
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I have emailed Jimmy Dunning to see if he can shed any light on this.

I will update accordingly as soon as he gets back to me.

Regards

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
MBrockway
Forum Member

The pages appear to cover ...

Dieppe Raid - demolition of Hess Battery at Varengeville by 4 Cdo

D-Day - 6th June assault by 4 Cdo at Ouistreham after the county regiments in the 1st wave had stalled on the beach

D-Day - 10th June action by 4 Cdo at Hauger where Captain Style was wounded.

Captain Style was O/C "C" Troop and the author appears to belong to one of his "C" Troop sections.

Does that narrow it down at all?

HTH!
Cheers,
Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
Gavin
Forum Member

Thanks Mark, I think from the lack of progress it might have been a private publication ? Gavin.
MBrockway
Forum Member

Gavin wrote:Thanks Mark, I think from the lack of progress it might have been a private publication ? Gavin.

Could be :(

These are the books in the public domain I've found that deal in detail with 4 Cdo ...

James Dunning - various
Donald Gilchrist - Don't Cry for Me
Murdoch C. McDougall - Swiftly They Struck

Cross referencing these with the list of men who took part in the Dieppe Raid* (elsewhere on the CVA Forum here: Dieppe - 19 August 1942 - No 4 Commando) shows ...

No mention of Murdoch McDougall.

James Dunning is listed as 7893672 Tsm. Dunning J., (R.A.C.), so clearly is NOT in the same Troop as the mystery author whose TSM at Dieppe appears to be 6910706 Tsm. Stockdale W.R., (Rifle Brigade), who won the DCM at Dieppe, though I suppose we cannot completely discount the possibility TSM Stockdale's bayonet charge could have included men from another Troop.

Donald Gilchrist could be 90629 Lieut. Gilchrist D.J., Camerons, but your mystery author seems to be a private soldier or a junior NCO, not a lieutenant, so Gilchrist seems unlikely too. Also Don't Cry For Me appears to begin at D-Day without covering Dieppe, though I have not actually seen a copy to verify this!

If we assume that the work is definitely an eye witness account, which I think we're all agreed on, then none of these three authors seem to fit the bill perfectly.

It might be useful to confirm whether TSM Stockdale was TSM of "C" Troop at Dieppe or not - that would corroborate the "C" Troop link from the mention of Captain Style as the author's troop commander at Hauger and perhaps narrow things down a wee bit more!

Style was only a Lieutenant at Dieppe of course, presumably a Section Leader, but not necessarily in the same Troop he later commanded.

Best line of inquiry though is certainly via James Dunning, which Geoff already has in hand :)

HTH

CHeers,
Mark

[*Edit: this list is just those involved in the assault on the Hess battery lead by 4 Cdo rather than the whole Battle of Dieppe]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/12/2009 17:20:25

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
Gavin
Forum Member

Well reasoned out Mark, I agree we will have to wait for Mr Dunning, he may know it or of it. Gavin.
Gavin
Forum Member

geoffmurray1 wrote:I have emailed Jimmy Dunning to see if he can shed any light on this.

I will update accordingly as soon as he gets back to me.

Regards

Did Mr Dunning ever get back to you with his thoughts ?
John Martin
Forum Member

None of the names mentioned in relation to Ouistreham and Hauger appear on my copy of the list of members of "C" Troop 4 Cdo shortly before D-Day, apart from Captain David Style MC and Lt David Haig-Thomas.

(The latter, sadly, was not involved in either engagement having been killed by a German patrol in the early hours of D-Day. He had parachuted with the airborne troops as a liaison officer together with his batman, Pte Sammy Ryder. They were blown off course, and landed in the marshes near Dives. They were trying to make their way to the bridges at Benouville when they ran into the patrol. Pte Ryder escaped and was able later to rejoin 4 Cdo.)

Equally, the names are not those mentioned in Jimmy Dunning's account in "The Fighting Fourth" of the incident in which Captain Style was badly wounded.

It is something of a mystery.
John Martin
Forum Member

In relation to Varengeville, I notice from Appendix 2 in Will Fowler's book "The Commandos at Dieppe" that TSM Stockdale was in "F" Troop 4 Cdo under Captain Pettiward.
Gavin
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply john,

The names mentioned for D-Day seem to tie up, the Italian Cockney Medic ties up with Pte Orlando Farnese
Cpl Frederick George Maskell and Pte Frederick Burkitt all killed 6th June 1944.
Gavin
Forum Member

A quick check on the War graves gives up

GARTHWAITE, WILLIAM OWEN

HECKMAN, EDWARD PERCY HENRY

Both 4 Commando for Dieppe

If you read the page '57' the writer talk of hearing the Battery going up.
Gavin
Forum Member

Never got any further with the identification of the book, any ideas ???
Gavin
Forum Member

Any thoughts ??
[Thumb - blewitt2.jpg]
 Filename blewitt2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  405 time(s)

[Thumb - Blewitt.jpg]
 Filename Blewitt.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  406 time(s)

[Thumb - blewitt1.jpg]
 Filename blewitt1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  401 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger