commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte C J Wootton, No1 Special Service Brigade  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
nocky1972
Forum Member

Hello there,
would love to find out some information about my grandfathers involvement in the Commandos.. I have letters from him to my gran when he was training through to D-Day and up to the end of the war. They mention where he stayed during training etc and places the Commandos went to in France and Germany. particularly a place called Wessen in Germany.. I'm trying to transcribe them all so as to get a better picture of his movements.. Would like to get his military records at some point in time too... Does anyone have any info I could have... His name was Charles Joseph Wootton and he was from Birmingham. He joined the Royal Signals and the volunteered for the Commandos. He trained in Scotland and then up and down the country, also trained in Northern Ireland.. the earliest letter I have is from 1943 and he was part of 'june 6th plattoon' so his letters state.. I can remember him mentioning a Commando called Bill Mullin or Millin who played the bagpipes on Sword beach under machine gun fire !! .... any information would be fantastic

Regards
Simon

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2009 21:42:54

Anonymous

Hi
Bill millin was the piper for Lord Lovat ......No 4 Commando..I Think!!
Regards
Bluefrog
Anonymous

Hi Simon,
my late father was in No6 Commando and took part in the Normandy and the German campaigns.I have a copy of the Commandos campaign diary.E-mail me your address and i will send you a copy.My e-mail is [email protected].
Best wishes,
Bob Cook
jackie mcginnis-schulze
Forum Member

simon if yoy discover anything on commando no 1 please let me know. my uncle wm d mcginis was in no one thanks jackie mcginnis schulze
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

nocky1972 wrote:.. .Would like to get his military records at some point in time too... Does anyone have any info I could have...

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the CVA forum.
With regard to Military Service Records, please see the 'sticky' entitled SERVICE RECORDS at the top of the 'Looking for Info' page. This contains all the info you need to start your search for your grandfather's service records.
Unfortunately, Historical Disclosures at Army Personnel Centre inform me that "due to the very high volume of urgent welfare requests on behalf of former soldiers, family requests are taking quite a long time..."

That is only right, of course, but the sooner you send them a query the sooner they (Historical Disclosures) can attend to it.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger