commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
My grandfather's stories(incomplete)  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
JRHMP
Forum Member

Hi,
this is my first post. I writing for Argentina, my grandfather fought in WW2 as commando in the 6th Brigade.
Please take your time to read this lines and reply with any comment you want. Hope you enjoy it

D-Day 2nd. WORLD WAR
JUNE 6th. 1944

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The content of this thread has been deleted as a result of a number of complaints received about the historical errors and anomilies and the chronalogical inaccuracies contained within the text.

The moderator is happy to re-instate the thread if the author can validate its authenticity with the support of photographs, documents or other provenance...

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 07/08/2007 13:39:13

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello

Some of the facts seem to be a bit incorrect in this story.

Recruitment was never from prisons and I don't think there was a 6 Brigade.

Perhaps facts have been lost with the passage of time.

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

JRHMP,

As John M says there do seem to be a few anomalies with your grandfather's stories...
Do you have of your grandfather's details? (Name, rank, service number etc), I'm sure if he'd written such a long and anecdotal diary it must have had those details within it somewhere.

I also agree with John M when he says that The Commandos were not recruited from prisons - that, to me, sounds like something that the film makers in Hollywood may have dreamed up...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
JRHMP
Forum Member

John Miller - Argentine
6 command ss brigade

I think his commanding officer was Mill Roberts.

Next week, if i'm able of going at my grandfathers dept, i will bring too you all the photograph material i can get. Futhermore, we will look up on every paper he has to be precise with the information i can get for you.

If there's any question you will like to ask him, please let me know.

Sorry about my english, it's being a long time without using it. Now i found it a little bit rusty.

Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,

Just stumbled across this one

Was this a wind up or genuine :?:

The author's name could be a clue as presented, J R at Her Majesties Prison

My apologies to the author if I'm off base on this but, people with time on their hands could possibly play games to see who bites :wink:

Cheers for now,

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There is a J R H Miller listed as serving with 6 Commando from the following website.

http://www.6commando.com/Pages/Other%20Ranks/Other%20Ranks%20Map%20to%20Morton.html

Regards

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Colin Russell wrote:Just stumbled across this one

Was this a wind up or genuine

The author's name could be a clue as presented, J R at Her Majesties Prison

My apologies to the author if I'm off base on this but, people with time on their hands could possibly play games to see who bites

Given the magic of the Internet I can tell you that the author is located in Buenos Aires.

Vlewis wrote:There is a J R H Miller listed as serving with 6 Commando from the following website.

http://www.6commando.com/Pages/Other%20Ranks/Other%20Ranks%20Map%20to%20Morton.html

Regards

As you will see, I removed the main text of this thread due to the complaints I received about the many inaccuracies, both chronalogical and historical. The complainants thought, and I agreed, that it would give the wrong impression about the Commandos, who they were, and what they did etc.
I too, researched the 6 Commando Site and noted that a JRH Miller served with them.
It was because of this I decided that instead of deleting the whole thread that I would give the author a chance to correct his text and authenticate it with documentation and/or photographs etc. So far he has chosen not to do so...

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/11/2007 10:46:17

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger