commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Excellent troop photo of No.5 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi all

Good to see some of you at FW this weekend. Terry Rowe son of Pte. Ernest Albert Rowe has sent in this high resolution troop photo of 5 Cdo pre 1942. If you know any names please put the details on here and I will update the photo. Here is the link to the photo:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/5+Commando+pre+1942++tr.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/11/2009 18:20:25

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

must have been just before my dad joined. They have the Balmoral bonnets. fantastic photo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/11/2009 18:12:54

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Exceptionally high quality photo! Thanks Terry.
Please note the yellow hackles in the bonnet.
Sadly before my father joined No5.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have received an update from Terry with information on the photo. Hopefully there may be more names to come. He has a contact who is a No.5 Commando Veterans wife. Here is some of what Terry said in his last email to me:
"Photo was taken in Falmouth at Greenbank most likely at back of the Hotel. 5 Commando HQ was down by the harbour in a large building.
The men while training in Scotland were known as the Special Service as shown on my fathers wedding certificate in 1941. It was changed to 5 Commando in Falmouth.
The photo id so far is
Row 4 Left 3 Ernest Albert Rowe (Berty) Served in Duke Wellington Regiment (Catterick) before transfer to Special Service
Row 2 Left 8 Hunter
Row 5 left 7 Andy Dalziel
Row 6 (back row) Left 1 known as Tiny
Row (back row) left 6 Fred Thorley
Row 2 Left 6 Paddy Ludlow (believe he wrote a book) "

Terry has also sent me a No.5 Cdo Christmas Card of excellent quality which I shall post in the gallery soon.

Regards

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's great information.
It also provides more names for the No5 Cdo Nominal Roll.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andy
Forum Member

Hello, I do have a copy of this photo but I can only help with one name. My father, Andy Dalziel, you already have as well as my godfather, Paddy (Tommy) Ludlow.

Third row down and six from the left, with the little moustache, is Des Crowden, Des was a Londoner who after the war worked for Paddy Ludlow in the TV and radio rental he set up, DER. My father died in 1974, Des in the early 1990s as I recall

The photo was taken in the gardens beside the Greenbank hotel where they mustered every morning, the steps behind them are right in the centre of this photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewhound/191199173/

Andy Dalziel
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have received the following email from Neil Stuart which I thought I would copy here :

My father Ted Stuart, who died in 2006, is in this photo (He is on the extreme right of the second row from the front). I have a copy of this photo and a list that someone has made of the names in the photo. The list is not in my father's writing and I suspect was sent to him by someone no more than twenty years ago. Some of the names seem to match the information you already have, others do not. If I ever come across the source of this list I will pass this information on to you. I apologise if some of the names may be incorrect due to my inability to read all of the writing correctly.

The list is from left to right, starting with the back row:

BACK ROW: Addiscot / Boggis / Williams / Curry / Hay / Thorley / Mundin / Skipper / Hunter
2ND FROM BACK: Martin / Rowe / Spragg / Little / Keller / Little / D.L. (probably unable to recall how to spell Dalziel!) / Murning / Anderson / Mackie
3RD FROM BACK: Pringle / Maxwell / Mutch / McIver/ Dinsdale / Linton / Adams / Brooks / Price
3RD FROM FRONT: Ludlow / Hicks / Bebbington / Stobie / Butler / Byrne / Patterson / Crutchley / Rollers / Underhill / Fleming / Ferguesen
2ND FROM FRONT: McKerr / Fisher / Black / Chant / Munsford / Bell / Carr / Crosby / Stuart
FRONT ROW: Jones / Bottomley / Gunn / Blair / Menzies / Rhind / Killen

i cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the names apart from my father.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/5+Commando+pre+1942++tr.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I have asked Neil for a scanned copy of the actual written list of names he has.

As a starter I am particularly interested in the 2 men next to Lt Chant who are officers and named in Neil's email above as Munsford and Bell. On the photo Andy Dalziel has one of these men as Ludlow whereas Neil has on his list Ludlow being 3rd row from the front extreme left and obviously not an officer from the picture.

Any ideas...(come on Nick you're the 5 Cdo man)

Pete

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 28/10/2010 15:51:33

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,
That's really fascinating as there are a few names there that we don't have on the No5 Nominal Roll.

Pete Rogers wrote:Any ideas...(come on Nick you're the 5 Cdo man)

Hmmmm thanks Pete - I'll see what I can do but although we're gradually getting more No5 photos in the Gallery we still need to be able to fit names to faces...

Working on it

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Today I've recieved an email from Mark Skipper [grandson of Sgt John Skipper, No5 Cdo] confirming that the commando on the back row, 2nd from right is his grandfather.

Still awaiting replies from other people I've contacted.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

the handritten copy of the names to the photo provided by Neil Stuart

[Thumb - 5cdo names.jpg]
 Filename 5cdo names.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 304 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  480 time(s)

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger