commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Eddie Smith, No9 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Doug
Forum Member

Can anyone help me fill in the blanks ? I have my dad's army service statement and the military history sheet is a little vague.

Edward Smith, 6711580, Black Watch, posted to 9 commando 23/4/42. sent overseas 28/10/42 to 14/3/43
home 15/3/43 to 10/9/43
North Africa 11/9/43 to 25/6/45
home 26/6/45 to 15/8/45
NW Europe 16/8/45 to 24/10/45

Eddie was wounded at Anzio on 3/3/44 which would mean that he was in Italy and not North Africa. Would like to know if the other periods when he was sent abroad coincide with known commando deployments.

Thanks Doug Smith

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2009 20:49:35

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We will try again - see if it works this time - attachments will follow separately -

Dear Doug:

I have dug - with a long shovel - into what we have in our archives concerning the operations of your Dad's unit, No. 9 Commando.

As you point out, the service record you have is of little help for you to understand the parameters of No. 9's operations.

I do know that my unit (No. 2) took over from No. 9 at Gibraltar in March, 1943 and No. 9 returned to the U.K. No. 9 was not involved in the campaigns in North Africa or Sicily, but was heavily involved after Sept. 1943 in Commando operations in Italy, Yugo-Slavia, Albania and Greece before they returned to Italy to fight with No. 2 at Lake Comacchio, in Northern Italy just before the war in Europe ended. In this connection, we have enclosed two maps - one concerning the Anzio beachhead and the other showing the scope of No. 9's operations throughout the region, encompassing Italy, Yugo-Slavia, Albania & Greece. Hope you can read the arrows with the '9 Cdo' legend indicating where your Dad was.

In our search for the name, Smith, in No. 9 Commando, we have with our limited resources come up with 3 commando soldiers of that name - one Smith was K.I.A so that one is eliminated, and the other two Smiths by an amazing coincidence, appear on the same account of No. 9 at Comacchio. However, they only identify the Smith boys by rank, not by first name. I'm hoping Eddie was one of them!

Inasmuch as your Dad joined No. 9 from the Black Watch, I would like you to note that Capt. Michael R. Allen was the Adjutant of No. 9 and also came from the Black Watch, so he might have some memory of Eddie, if we can find him!

Other No. 9 Officers who your Dad would have served under in Italy and elsewhere, are:

Capt. Leslie S. Calif, M.C.
Capt. Edward J. D'Arcy, M.C.
Capt. Ralph A. Cameron, M.C.
Capt. Michael A. Davies, M.C.

Hopefully some of the above-named might offer additional memory of Eddie. We both wish we could do more in the way of records of your Dad's Service, however, we appreciate your efforts, Doug, to keep on remembering a Commando Comrade!

Kindest Regards,

Bob & Janet
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

attachment 1
[Thumb - map Italy.jpg]
 Filename map Italy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description No. 9 - Italy map
 Filesize 341 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  516 time(s)

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

2nd attachment - No. 9 maps Anzio & Yugo-Slavia etc
[Thumb - no 9 maps.jpg]
 Filename no 9 maps.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description No. 9 Anzio etc maps
 Filesize 208 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  480 time(s)

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

last one - No. 9 Comacchio - references to Smith
[Thumb - smith no9.jpg]
 Filename smith no9.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Smith No. 9 Comacchio
 Filesize 337 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  495 time(s)

Doug
Forum Member

Hi Bob & Janet,

Thank you for the research and map attachment. Although Eddie was discharged to the reserve as a lance corporal the retention of the rank on a regular basis was kind of iffy and the stripe was probably issued with a velcro backing. I believe that at the time of the Anzio landings he was L/Cpl.

Doug
Doug
Forum Member

Hi again Bob & Janet,

Just received the second attachment and would like to confirm that Eddies's birthday was April 1st which would tie in with L/Cpl Smith's celebratory crossing of Lake Comacchio. Thanks again.

Doug

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger