commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Photo Archive  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone

I have had an idea for some time and on further talking to Ron (Hockamlain) it seems he has had similar thoughts.

Could we create a photo archive somewhere? There must be loads of photos out there with families friends etc appertaining to the Commandos WW2 and recent. Many of these photos have not only the close relatives family member in them but also their comrades /oppos /Pals etc.

Your dad /grandfather or best mate may be in the photo and believe me it is a revelation to see your dad /grandfather etc looming out from times past.

It is a resource that we cannot afford to lose.

Maybe we could create a photo archive on this site where photos could be uploaded from relatives with as much info as possible. We could even list them in units No 1 No 2 Cdo etc so that researchers could access them feely and quickly.

How many photos have been condemned to the dustbin or shredder?

OK what do you think guys?

Best regards

JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John - we had some discussion of the possibility of a photo archive a few months ago - see below. At the time it seemed they were "working"on something. Hope it happens soon. There are a lot of photos that should be made available to those interested.

Sorting them by Unit would really make things a lot easier too.

All the best,

Janet & Bob

Forum Index -> General Topics
31/05/2007 21:59:25 Subject: Photos
Stephen Unwin
Forum Lance Corporal

I wondering if it would be a good idea or not for us all to pool our photos relating to WWII commandos.

The reason I ask is maybe it would attract more members especially descendants if they could see the amount of information which may be available.

If its a storage problem, tell me to shut up!

01/06/2007 16:41:48 Subject: Rehotos
John M
Forum Sergeant

That seems to be a great idea Stephen
Send it through to admin and see what he can do.
Regards
John M

01/06/2007 16:49:52 Subject: Rehotos
geoffmurray1
Forum Corporal

Hi Steve, as John says, Admin (or Danny) is in the process of updating the site to include a photo album for each Commando in the history pages. He may be able to add a misc photo page also. Can't wait!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geoff Murray
CVA
National Secretary
01869 243140

Admin
Forum Member

Hi All,

Firstly, what a great day it was on Sunday.

Secondly, I have installed some new photo gallery software which will allow members to create their own albums and share photos with other members, easily. I am just finishing off the configuration, and it will hopefully be available by the end of tomorrow night. It will replace the current gallery.

The gallery has many advanced features, which I will explain once it is running.

So watch this space in the next couple of days.

Dan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/07/2007 10:08:56

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great idea. Remember troop as well as Commando number.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi all

It is just 4 years now since this message was posted by John M about the possibility of the website having a photo gallery. I am pleased to say that as of this week we now have over 5,000 photos and documents in our gallery. It undoubtedly now is the largest archive of photos and information about the Commandos, and it continues to grow. I'll let you know when we reach 7,000 !

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Pete the Gallery is a testament to your unstinting work along with the help of Nic .
The gallery is a growing monument to the original Commandos and all their modern counterparts.

Long may it grow!!

thanks

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The success of the Gallery is mainly due to the generosity of those people who have kindly contributed all the fantastic photos.
However there are many Veterans, who are not computer savvy, who are probably unaware of the on-line Gallery.
I'm sure that many of them would love to see these photos of their comrades in arms on the computer and I'm equally sure that many of them have photos tucked away which they'd happily add to the collection.

If we can spread the word and show Veterans our collection of photos I'm sure it won't be long before Pete tells us that we've reached the 7000 mark!

Well done for all the hard work Pete.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger