commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
402083 Gnr James Clark, MM. No 2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out information about the above Commando with regards to filling in details about him. Searches have brought very little, so if anyone has any info, whatsoever, it will be gratefully received.

Harryj

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/12/2012 17:37:33

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Harry

His first name was James. I have sent a message off to Eric Buckmaster of No.2 Cdo to see if he can assist

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/02/2012 19:24:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

Harry

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Harry

Eric has contacted me with the following " He seems to have joined us in December 1943, I imagine when we had quite a large influx of Artillery men. We were rebuilding the Unit. He was married and had 3 children 1 girl & 2 boys. To get more Service information about him I think that it will be necessary to get a copy of his Service Record. His Regiment was RA, Anti Tank Section." He says Gnr. Clark MM was not in 5 troop and regrets he cannot assist further.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

thanks for the info and thanks to Eric. I'll see if I can 'tap' into RA records.

Harry.

Macca61
Forum Member

Hi All

Thanks for your help in this, i just wonder where the info came about James Clarks children, i wonder if its the same chap as he has 3 Sons not 1 daughter and 2 sons as stated My James was born in 1911 and married in 1935 and at that time was a Chauffer/Valet at a hotel in Perthshire

Regards
Gordon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gordon

There were several with the surname Clarke or Clark in 2 Commando. There were certainly two Gunner Clark's that I know of, one of whom was killed in action:

902982 Gunner Alfred John Clarke, RA and No.2 Commando killed in action aged 23yrs in Albania on 9th October 1944 and remembered with honour at Tirana Park Memorial Cemetery

and

402083 Gunner J. Clark MM, RA (Anti Tank) and No.2 Commando. This is the man whom Eric Buckmaster mentioned in a previous forum message. Eric was in 5 troop of No.2 Commando, not the same troop as this man. The information came from unofficial handwritten notes on those who served in No.2 Commando. The fact that 3 children are mentioned I would suggest shows it is one and the same and that an error has been made. It is not particularly clear on the list. I can tell you that against his name on the list his next of kin is shown as his wife, but with no address shown just a note to say "moves about" which might indicate hotel or other service

Previous forum message relating to this can be read here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/621.page#2669

[Email]
Macca61
Forum Member

Yes I think you are probably right thats our man I have asked Ian his son to contact The Army records people but he is not very good at that sort of thing, i will see if i can do it with his permission.

Many thanks

Gordon Mackenzie
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gordon,
Here are the forms you would need to apply for service records.
You don't need a letter of consent from the Next of Kin (Ian) any more, just get him to sign the relevent boxes in the first form [Application Form Part 1 for Next of Kin or Enquirers with the Consent of Next of Kin]

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ABD2FA46-5720-4F8F-AD21-53C3EDA07803/0/request_for_service_details_nok_application_part1_v5.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/04CE7BC7-A7F7-4BE2-BE7E-57B4E8232FD4/0/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2.doc

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2012 16:46:58

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger