commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 COMMANDO 2 TROOP  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
[email protected]
Forum Member

MY GRANDAD SERVED IN 2 TROOP 2 COMMANDO. PTE DOUGLAS CHANT (BREN GUNNER). HE MARRIED MY NAN IN 41, IN PRESTWICK. MY NAN IS STILL ALIVE AND MISSING SCOTLAND (SHES A JOCK).

WHEN THEY GOT MARRIED, THEY WENT BACK TO MY NANS MOMS HOUSE IN PRESTWICK, WITH ALL THE GUESTS. MY NAN SAID THAT HER, MOM COME RUNNING UP TO HER AND SAID TO MY NAN. TELL THEM TO STOP IT (GRANDADS COMMANDO FRIENDS). WHEN MY NAN WENT INTO THE ROOM. THE COMMANDOS HAD EMPTIED THE VASES OF THE WEDDING FLOWERS. AND WERE USING THE VASES AS DRINKING TANKARDS. (NAUGHTY BOYS). .

ANOTHER FUNNY TALE. ONE DAY MY NAN WENT INTO THE KITCHEN. TO DISCOVER, HER 8 YEAR OLD BROTHER, STRIPPING AND CLEANING A BREN GUN ON THE KITCHEN TABLE. GRANDAD, HAD UTILISED ALL HIS RESOURCES, I GUESS. :wink:

THEIR MUST BE MORE FUNNY TALES, FROM THESE VAGABONDS, KNOCKING ABOUT, LETS HEAR THEM.

THANKS.

LEE

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2009 18:57:43

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Lee,
Welcome to the CVA and thanks for those amusing anecdote. I'm sure you are right, there must be many more humorous tales about these resourceful soldiers.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Lee

Your Grandad is indeed shown in our No.2 Commando " Those who Served" lists. Being in 2 troop he would have served under a famous Captain, the Duke of Wellington, who was sadly killed in action at Salerno, along with 1 Major, 3 other Captains, 2 Lieutenants, and so many other ranks, and that is just those from No.2. I see our late good friend Bob Bishop has posted a message about your Grandad previously. We all miss Bob. His message can be seen here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/460.page

Humour has a habit of shining through in times of adversity and I suppose that is one way of dealing with tragedy. I have heard many comical stories recently from Commandos and maybe you have pointed us in the direction of setting up a section in the forum for items of humour to keep them all together. Something for our committee to consider and I would certainly support it. I think the moderators might have to be on the ball though as a lot of what I have heard is humour of the "adult" nature. Only today I listened to a recently recorded second informal chat with a No.9 Commando Veteran called Ken Young in which he recalls some very humerous things which I will in due course put on the forum as part of a transcript of the tape. One that occurred in the midst of battle involving a call of nature but you will have to wait till I post it in the next day or so.
Returning to a more serious note Lee, do you have any pictures of your Grandad from his war days, or perhaps at Commando reunions or services after the war, that you would like posted in our gallery. I will gladly assist you in doing this. You can either contact me on here by pm or email me direct
Regards

Pete

*** Update 27/10/09*** I have now placed the details of the chat with Ken Young on the message titled "No. 9 Commandos, Ron (Ken) Young, Eddie Smith and others"

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 23/09/2014 22:19:49

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mandy
Forum Member

My grandfather served in 2 troop and took part in the St Nazaire raid , sadly I haven't seen him mentioned on the list of soldiers who served in 2 troop . His name is Leonard Frank Bayliss . I believe he was a corporal 6467968.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mandy,
welcome to the CVA. Please see the link below to find your grandfather's name in a nominal roll of No2 Commando which was compiled by the late Bob Bishop MC, No2 commando veteran and good friend of the CVA.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/no-2-commando-served

regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mandy,
Further to my previous message, you will also find your grandfather listed in the book:
THE ATTACK ON ST NAZAIRE', by Captain Robert Ryder, VC, RN,

He is listed on page 114, Appendix III, as: L. Bayliss L/Sgt. 3 Troop, No 2 Commando.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
mandy
Forum Member

Thank you for your relpy . I have seen his name and will look into getting the book .
Once again thank you

Mandy
MBrockway
Forum Member

NIC wrote:Hi Mandy,
Further to my previous message, you will also find your grandfather listed in the book:
THE ATTACK ON ST NAZAIRE', by Captain Robert Ryder, VC, RN,

He is listed on page 114, Appendix III, as: L. Bayliss L/Sgt. 3 Troop, No 2 Commando.

Regards,
Nick

Mandy,
As further corroboration of which Troop he was in, Lance Sgt L. Bayliss is listed as 3 Troop, 2 Cdo, in Stuart Chant's St Nazaire Commando (Appendix 3, page 197).

I can strongly recommend James Dorian's excellent Storming of St Nazaire, which has near complete lists of who was in which boat and their allotted task during the Operation. However my mother currently has my copy, so I can't check that for you just yet!

Do you know your grandfather's original regiment from which he was attached to No 2 Commando?

Cheers,
Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
MBrockway
Forum Member

mandy wrote:His name is Leonard Frank Bayliss . I believe he was a corporal 6467968.

Mandy,
Some further clarification:

Lance Sergeant is an Appointment where a soldier with the Rank of Corporal is appointed to perform the duties of a soldier holding the Rank of Sergeant.

As this was only an Appointment, it could be revoked by the commanding officer, whereas a soldier with the Rank of Sergeant could only be demoted by a Court Martial.

That extra flexibility probably suited commando units very well.

The down-side was that he usually still got corporal's pay, not sergeant's, and since he was officially still ranked a corporal, records/medals etc. often ignore the man's sergeant's status.

The exception to this is the Guards regiments and, I think, the HAC, where all corporals are known as Lance Sergeants!
HTH!
Cheers,
Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/12/2009 16:32:26

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
mandy
Forum Member

Thank you

Yes Len was with the Fusilers before joining No 5 Indepedant company. From the information gathered from his letters , names were pulled out of a hat and his was not called out. At a later date someone became injured and Len was asked if he would like to join. Of course he did.

I do believe he did make SGT, again shown in his letters. He was always getting into trouble so that would explain his lower ranking later.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger