commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
51 Middle East commando/ SIG  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Mat Heywood
Forum Member

Hello everyone,

My name is Mat Heywood, I am a journalist and film-maker, and I'm currently researching the 51 Middle East commando, a short lived unit, that went on to become a part of Layforce, and some members went on to serve in the SIG.

As you can imagine - I think this is a fascinating and largely unknown part of history, that deserves wider recognition.

I have contacted two surviving members here in Israel/ Palestine (where I'm currently based), but I am desperately keen to get in touch with anyone that can tell me more.

Ideally I'd like to get hold of all the names of 51 ME Commando - officers and men, to try and get in touch with them.

I'm new to researching this, so any help you can offer would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Mat
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mat Heywood wrote:
I'm currently researching the 51 Middle East commando, a short lived unit, that went on to become a part of Layforce, and some members went on to serve in the SIG.

As you can imagine - I think this is a fascinating and largely unknown part of history, that deserves wider recognition.

I have contacted two surviving members here in Israel/ Palestine (where I'm currently based), but I am desperately keen to get in touch with anyone that can tell me more.

Ideally I'd like to get hold of all the names of 51 ME Commando - officers and men, to try and get in touch with them.

Hi Mat,
Welcome to the CVA.
I have to say you've given yourself a difficult task because, researching the activities of WWII Army Commandos is difficult enough as it is but, as you say, the full story of the ME (Middle East) Commandos is, on the whole, largely unknown.
That you have managed to contact two veterans of ME Commandos is commendable in itself.
Unfortunately there is no definitive nominal roll, freely available, for any WWII Commando - which is why we on The CVA are currently trying to compile lists of name for all the commandos. A long and painsaking task!

There are a few names on the Roll of Honour but it includes the fallen of
all the ME Cdos.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=

With regards research, I would advise you to persevere - you never know what snippet of information you may turn up and that can lead you on to the fuller picture.
It would certainly be worth your while to read the War Diaries for the ME Cdos - but if you can't get to Kew at the moment, it may be worthwhile using the services of a Researcher (details are on the National Archives website).

In the meantime, there is a small number of photos in the ME Cdos Album in our Gallery which interest you. Good luck with your research.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Mat Heywood
Forum Member

Thanks Nick,

I'll certainly keep plugging away.

I got hold of the war diaries copies [for anyone else's info you can now get them to scan the pages and email them to you - for a cost of about £8. ]

Unfortunately they seemed to have the same problem as everything else concerning 51 commando - intriguing, but with little information.

Do you know if it would be possible to get a list of name s in the unit from the MOD - I understand that they hold the records for this period, but I can't find a current address for the Records office.

I don't really want to go through the MOD press office, as they can take an age before saying no. (Also, I once did a programme on the problems faced by returning Territorials from theatre, and lets just say I'm not popular with the minister after that).

Any advice?

Mat

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 20/10/2009 13:16:09

Mat Heywood
Forum Member

I found some British names on a Czec (I think) website, of British commanders in the 51me who were captured:

Corporal Avishalom Drori, 51 Middle East Commando - Captured
Sergeant Frederick Birch, Liverpool Scottish (Cameron Highlanders) (7 & 51 ME Commando) -Captured
Corporal John Kerr, Cameron Highlanders ( 7 & 51 ME Commando) - Captured

If anyone has any information or advice about how to follow up on these for more information, that would be fantastic.

Thank again,
Mat
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mat

The following information is provided by the Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust. It is a summary rather than a transcript so to speak:

L/Sgt Frederick Birch was a volunteer from the 2nd Btn. Liverpool Scottish who joined No.7 Commando and sailed with Force Z later to be known as Layforce. On arrival in the Middle East No. 7 Cdo. was designated "A" Btn of Layforce ultimately arriving in Crete to reinforce the garrison. Much is known of what happenned after that with the Commandos defending as the garrison was evacuated, only for the defenders to be left behind and ordered to surrender. In June 1941 L/Sgt Birch and some others made a daring escape by boat from Crete landing at Sidi Barani. No.7 Commando was disbanded and many of the remaining Commandos who were not captured went to the SAS, returned to their original units, or, as in L/Sgt Birch's case, joined the reorganised 51 Middle East Commando. He later went on an attachment with 11 Scottish Commando to instruct them in demolitions. It was from there that he got assigned to Operation Flipper along with Corporal Kerr that you mention. Another from 7 Cdo that went 51 ME Cdo was believed to be Pte. Walter Cottam, although some confusion exists there.

Sadly that is all ...no other lists of names or anything. Although the book The Middle East Commandos by Charles Messenger has a few including names at the back who were involved in a ME Commando Research Group.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 20/10/2009 21:07:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mat,

that's great, although I'm currently working on a nominal roll for No5 Cdo, I'll take note of those names and start my own 51 ME Cdo roll too.

Here's another for you. Capt John Neilson (Ian or Jock) Lapraik MC.

Also here is another link which may be of use to you (if you haven't already seen it)

http://www.memorialgrove.org.uk/specialidentificationgrouplionsofjudahhistory.htm

Cheers,
nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/10/2009 20:52:44

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

more names all of 51 ME then SIG:

Sgt Dov Cohen,
Philip Kogel
Maurice (Monju) Tiefenbrunner
Dolph Zentner.

nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Mat Heywood
Forum Member

Again, my thanks to Nic and Peter.

I'm meeting Maurice this Friday - which should be a cracker - hopefully he'll be able to fill in a few gaps.

Another name I found was Capt. C Hillman from the Pioneers.

I understand that the British element of 51ME was taken from the Palestine regiment of the Pioneer Corps (later the Royal Pioneers).

So, that gives me another angle to dig.

And, unfortunately, one who fell aged just 19: Private M. FISCHER

Thanks again,
Mat
Mat Heywood
Forum Member

Some more names to add:

Lapraik, John Neilson (Ian or Jock) Rank: Acting Captain Regiment: 51 Middle East Commando

Dab, Jakob Rank: Raider Service No: 10810 Regiment: 51 Middle East Commando

Lendler, Sandor Rank: Raider Service No: 10074 Regiment: 51 Middle East Commando

to add to
Sergeant Frederick Birch, Liverpool Scottish (Cameron Highlanders) (7 & 51 ME Commando)
Corporal John Kerr, Cameron Highlanders ( 7 & 51 ME Commando) -
Capt. C Hillman from the Pioneers.
L/Sgt Frederick Birch
and possibly Pte. Walter Cottam

Corporal Avishalom Drori, 51 Middle East Commando
Sgt Dov Cohen,
Philip Kogel
Maurice (Monju) Tiefenbrunner
Dolph Zentner.
Private M. FISCHER (d.1941)

Also - I've tracked down the name of all the enlisted men to the Palestinian pioneer force, including some references to units they went on to serve with.
Hopefully that should give me the names of the Jewish and Arab soldiers.

However - the book has not been entered into a database, so I'm now in the tricky position of needing to see books in s different country.

I'll keep posting as and when more information comes to light.

Thanks again to all
Mat
sammyb
Forum Member

Hi Mat - I have a name for you.

Corporal Leslie Jock Brown. Former 11 Cdo and 51 Cdo. Moved into 1 SAS B Squadron.

He was killed in January 1943 in the same ambush as my grandfathers brother, Fred Senior in Libya. I have very detailed info on the ambush. He is buried next to Fred in Tunisia and I have photos of that too.

If you check out specialforcesroh.com you'll see him listed.

PM me if you want more info

Sam
sammyb
Forum Member

just a thought - have you got the book by Charles Messenger?
sammyb
Forum Member

specialforcesroh.com has 10 men from 51 cdo listed and 5 photos in the gallery. Have you seen those?
Mat Heywood
Forum Member

HI Sam,

Masive thanks for your info. I'm just checking the Special Forces ROH site now - again, thanks. I have a friend in England who is getting the book and sending it out to me.

It looks very interesting indeed.

Mat
Mat Heywood
Forum Member

Hello All,

It's been a while. I just wanted to update you all on the project. It has developed quite a bit since I last posted, and I have been interviewing two surviving 51 ME commandos here in Israel at length. Both are nearly 95 years old - but sharp as tacks.

It also seems very likely I will be getting some money to make a full documentary film, and hopefully shed some light on this mysterious Unit.

Of course, I wonder if anyone reading these forums might be able to help me? I am in the process of assembling archive material, and I'm trying to track down the family of Ian Jock Lapraik (famous SBS and later 21 SAS officer) who died in 1985.

If anyone can advise how I might get in touch with his children that would be really helpful.

As soon as I get clearance from the families who own the archive I have, I will try and post the pictures up here - there's some great material, but as you will understand, I have to get permission before I publish them.

Thanks again,
Mat
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mat,

Further to the pm I sent, Iain Lapraik was born in Boroughmuirhead district, Edinburgh City, Scotland and died in Chiltern and Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. A search for Lapraiks in the electoral registers and local press for these two areas may turn up trumps.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/04/2010 15:36:29

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger