commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RN Commando Unit 'T' for Tare  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Can anyone help? Ian will be watching the post.

HELLO MR MURRAY, i am seeking info on the above unit, my reason is i was adopted in 1944, my birth father was LEONARD "RAINBOW" THOMPSON rainbow being his nickname, he was in the above unit is he or was he in your association he spent the winter of 1943-44 at monkton camp doing wet landing training on TROON beaches, then went south to prepare for normandy landings, any help would be appreciated. kindest regards IAN MARTIN

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ian,

I don't know how much you know about the RN Commandos but this link will take you to an article written by a RN Cdo veteran - it should give you a little background info.

http://www.btinternet.com/~keith.oakley/rncommando/rnhist.htm

As for RN Commando 'T', they were certainly involved in Op Neptune (the naval part of Op Overlord.)
I will endeavour to uncover more info about this particular unit, but in the meantime please have a browse on the CVA gallery where you will find a a few photos of RN Cdos and a photo of a memorial plaque at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffs to the memory of the RN Cdos.

Incidently, as you are aware, the RN Cdos were designated Alphabetically and not Numerically like the Army Commandos and the Royal Marine Commandos.
22 Commandos were formed throughout beginning with A Commando through to W Commando. (W CDO being all-Canadian).

'T' for Tare is the old phonetic alphabet as used in those days - the modern version is 'T' for Tango.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/10/2009 15:52:15

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ian,

Further to my earlier reply, I thought you may like to know about HMS Armadillo - the RNC training camp.

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/GlenfinartHouse

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This link takes you to another veteran RN Commando's account of his time in the RN Cdo - not T Commando I'm afraid but it still makes interesting reading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/94/a2677494.shtml

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger