commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Andre Dignac - 10IA Commando killed in action Sark  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This email from a woman in France has been forwarded to me by John M:

I'm a french woman, who discovered, few months ago, that my father's cousin started from France in 1940 aged of 20, and was engaged in Naval Forces of Free French in january 1941. My "little" cousin, André Dignac has been in Ayr, Criccieth, Achnaccary for hard training in 1BFMC of 4 commando, then, after selection of the groups, he had join the N°10 Commando Inter-allied. In December 1943, there were two raids for Sark Island, the 25th and 27th. During the first they had to return in England because it was too difficult to climb the cliffs.These raids were named Hard Attack 7. I remind to you that André was named " Tarzan " among his troop because he was a special and trained climber; always the first, the pathfinder for climbing the very high cliffs and assure the others guys following him.The second raid two nights later, was difficult, but they climbed successfully on the top of the cliff : unfortunately they entered a minefield ; Roger Bellamy died immediatly and my cousin André Dignac badly wounded ; he received some morphine but died just after. The english officier Lt. McGonigal was wounded, and the raiders had to return very quickly to the dinghy because the noise of the mines woke the deutsh troops. Roger and André lay in the minefield, both died and were buried by germans on december the 27 and Sark's population noted where that was. After the war, a memorial has been built for their memory. If you have some details more, I'll be so happy to know it ! Excuse me for my english not very fluent, but it's easier for me to read than to wrtie your language. I send you some documents about André Dignac. Best regards from Claudine Cormerais

There is some interesting material about the French commandos on this link. If you have any information on him please let me know and I will forward it onto Claudine. The Operation was Hardtack 7 - Landing for purposes of reconnaissance in vicinity of Point Terrible, Channel Islands of Sark (December 1943). She has information on it.

http://commandokieffer.canalblog.com/

***updated***
Here is the link to the album I have created in the 10IA Commando gallery with useful information about the men and the raid:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/French/Hardtrack+7/

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 26/09/2009 15:56:33

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger